GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is currently seeking a Dam and Levee Safety Project Manager with a minimum of 6 years of experience for our Norwood, Massachusetts office. The position offers great potential for professional growth in an exciting working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technologies to our dam/levee/hydropower-related projects. A strong passion to work on dams and levees is essential for this position. The qualified candidate must have a strong civil, geotechnical, or structural engineering background, demonstrated project management skills, and experience working on dams and/or levees.
- Performing/managing dam and/or levee safety inspections.
- Coordinating and supervising fieldwork activities including subsurface explorations and instrumentation installations, topographic survey work, and underwater inspections
- Oversight and management of resident engineering/construction monitoring for dam and levee rehabilitation projects and dam removal projects.
- Supervising geotechnical data collection, organization, and interpretation in support of dam/levee inspections, engineering evaluations, and dam/levee rehabilitation projects and dam removal projects
- Supervising and reviewing engineering analyses including seepage and slope stability analyses of embankment dams and levees, toe drain and filter designs, and gravity dam stability analyses
- Coordinating with GZA’s water resource engineers performing hydrologic and hydraulic analyses for spillway capacity evaluations, dam break analyses, and developing Emergency Action Plans
- Performing/managing FERC Part 12 Dam Inspections, updating DSSMPs/DSSMRs, and STIDs
- Participation in Potential Failure Mode Analysis sessions.
- Writing inspection/engineering reports and assisting in preparing permit applications
- Designing dam rehabilitation projects including stability improvements, overtopping protection, seepage control, etc.
- Preparing construction plans and technical specifications
- Performing cost/quantity estimates and project scheduling
- Performing construction administration Tasks including supervising resident engineers, reviewing submittals, and responding to RFI’s.
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with team members, clients, and contractors.
- Providing leadership/mentoring to technical staff
- Preparing technical proposals, developing scopes of work, and developing and managing budgets
- Working with GZA Principals and interacting with clients and regulatory agencies
- Executing project management duties including developing and managing a project schedule, managing and tracking budgets, preparing monthly invoices, scheduling staff, preparing subcontracts and managing subcontractors, and coordinating with clients
- Occasional out-of-town travel will be required. Candidate must have consistent means of transportation to/from project sites
- Perform additional job-related duties as assigned
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or related field of practice is required.
- M.S. in Civil Engineering with a geotechnical or structural focus is preferred
- Professional Engineer license in MA is required with the ability to obtain PE in CT and NY
- An ideal candidate will have at least 6 years of experience in dam/levee safety engineering, with direct involvement in dam/levee safety inspections, condition assessments, subsurface exploration programs, engineering analyses, dam rehabilitation/dam removal design, and dam safety and environmental permitting
- Direct experience completing dam and levee safety projects for public sector/municipal agencies in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York is highly preferred
- Strong financial, schedule, and subcontractor management skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to speak publicly
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and manage junior staff
- Experience with geotechnical software packages such as GeoStudio will be a plus.
- Experience with finite element analyses using 2D and 3D PLAXIS will be a plus
- Experience with FERC Relicensing work will be a plus
- Project experience with the US Army Corps of Engineers, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or the New York City Department of Environmental Protection will be a plus.
GZA’s Dam and Levee Safety Group is made up predominately by geotechnical engineers focused on dam and levee safety work. Typical project teams include hydrologic and hydraulic engineers from our Water Resources Group and ecological professionals from our Natural Resource Group. GZA’s Norwood Dam and Levee Safety Group routinely executes projects in the Northeast US, Mid-Atlantic States, Midwest, and occasionally in other areas of the country.
GZA is a leader in providing quality engineering consulting services to a diverse and exciting client base. We attract experienced professionals who understand proactive client service, safety, risk management and loss prevention practices, quality control, teamwork, and mentoring of younger staff. We seek employees who enjoy their work, desire continuous opportunities for learning, and want to contribute to the vision and growth of a quality, employee-owned, professional firm. GZA values diversity and is committed to providing an accepting and inclusive work environment for all employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. GZA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.This is a full time position