A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We believe that flexible arrangements, such as hybrid working, create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people.Dedicated to sustainable development, Arup is a collective of designers, consultants and experts working globally. Founded to be humane and excellent, we collaborate with our clients and partners using imagination, technology, and rigour to shape a better world. Senior Geotechnical Engineer Arup’s Ground Engineering team in Ireland includes geotechnical engineers, engineering geologists, hydrogeologists, and geoenvironmental specialists, supported by our global expertise across all disciplines. We provide innovative ground engineering solutions for all types of projects and clients, both within Ireland and internationally, adding value through technical excellence, creative thinking, and understanding of our client’s long-term objectives. We have a strong focus on implementing sustainability and circular economy principles on projects, and on incorporating digital initiatives in order to optimise outcomes for our clients.Our current projects include a number of major inter-urban highways, metro and rail projects, Dublin’s BusConnects project, and a range of building developments across the residential, commercial, and science/technology sectors. Your responsibilities
- As a geotechnical engineer, you will be responsible for undertaking the geotechnical design for projects across a range of sectors both in Ireland and overseas.
- You will be responsible for delivery of projects within budget and timeframes, liaising with multidisciplinary teams and clients, and for the management, direction, and development of junior staff.
- You will have strong technical skills in geotechnical design, construction, and ground investigations. The role also offers opportunities for project management of both geotechnical and multidisciplinary projects.
- As part of the Ground Engineering team, you will play a role in the development of junior colleagues and promoting our culture of technical excellence across the team.
- You will also be involved in ongoing development of geotechnical skillsets and processes throughout the Ground Engineering team.
- The role will be in the Dublin or Cork office, reporting to the Geotechnical Team Lead.
- Degree in Civil, Geotechnical or Structural Engineering. A post-graduate qualification in Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Mechanics, or equivalent is an advantage.
- Ideally will have or be working towards Chartered status of a professional engineering organisation.
- Experience in a technical role in geotechnical design and/or construction.
- Demonstrated strong technical understanding of the design of deep excavations, deep and shallow foundations, earthworks, slope stability, and soft ground solutions.
- Experience of planning, managing, supervising and interpreting geotechnical investigations.
- Good planning, organisational and time management skills. Ability to maintain personal effectiveness particularly when working across several projects.
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels in both technical and non-technical environments.
- Effective written communication and report writing skills.
- Experience and ability in 3D modelling, GIS, scripting, or automation and their application to geotechnics would be an advantage.
- Awareness of contaminated land/waste and reuse of earthworks materials would be an advantage.
- Flexibility to travel, and full drivers licence an advantage.
What to expect at Arup
- A multicultural and informal working environment where you can develop professionally by being part of a team who enjoy what they do.
- Opportunities for short or long assignments at Arup’s offices and projects anywhere in the world.
- Employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme, which is dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
- Competitive performance-based salary growth.
- A strong corporate culture committed to its values: quality of work, holistic approach, humane organization, straight and honourable dealings, social usefulness and reasonable prosperity.
- Continuous training and professional development that will allow you to adapt to the growing needs of our clients as we embrace digital transformation.
Join us in shaping a better worldOur goal is to shape a better world, finding solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the most expansive impacts of our work. Our drive to build a more sustainable, resilient and equitable future shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. The successful candidate will join our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet. 'A better way'- Sustainability and Social EquityAt Arup, we strive to bring environmental sustainability and social equity together. We put sustainability at the heart of our projects and invest in research and development that helps tackle issues such as climate change and poverty. We have made a commitment to reach net zero by 2030 and to contribute meaningfully to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, creating shared value for our clients and our communities while safeguarding our planet. Read our net zero carbon plan here. A career at Arup gives you the chance to have a positive impact on the world. For us, corporate responsibility is not just a policy; it’s a way of working. Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion is at the heart of what we doWe are committed to creating an inclusive working environment for talented people of any background based on merit, fairness and respect. At Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in social, cultural and educational events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or with your colleagues by joining staff networks such as those for women, culture or the LGBTQ+ community. At Arup we are committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. Please speak to our recruitment team and we will work with you to make reasonable adjustments to ensure you can perform at your best.