Schnabel is an employee-owned, professional consulting firm that focuses on solving complex infrastructure and environmental challenges through innovation and specialization in dam, geotechnical, geostructural, and tunnel engineering. Our high standards for quality, business ethics, and commitment to our core values and local communities are vital parts of who we are and what we offer. Founded in 1956, Schnabel’s dedication to excellence in client service, quality and technical expertise, and value-added solutions has resulted in sustained growth, success, and industry recognition. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm and Top 10 Dams and Reservoirs Design Firm.Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package including maternity leave, tuition reimbursement for continuing education, health, dental, life and disability insurance, and more. Engagement in Schnabel’s wellness program offers incentives for employees to pursue a healthy lifestyle, and the firm rewards employees through its Employee Stock Ownership Plan. JOB DESCRIPTIONOur Jersey City, NJ office is seeking a senior/supervising geotechnical engineer to help expand our growing Geotechnical and Water practices in the NYC metropolitan area and Northeast region. In this role, you will provide leadership, management, and technical support for a variety of multidisciplinary projects that involve dams and reservoirs, flood resiliency, heavy-civil works, and other general infrastructure across the Northeast region and nationally. As an employee-owner, you will have a say in how our business operates and you will benefit from our financial success. POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:Candidate will serve as a Supervising Geotechnical Engineer. Major focus areas for the role include:
- Manage, execute, and provide technical support, in a team setting and on a variety of challenging geotechnical and interdisciplinary infrastructure projects.
- Responsibilities may include managing and preparing for geotechnical and geologic field investigations, reviewing field investigation boring logs, evaluating instrumentation and monitoring data, assigning project-specific soil and rock laboratory testing, conducting engineering analyses and design specific to soil and rock mechanics, foundation design, fill placement/ground modification, seepage evaluations, slope stability analyses, and seismic analyses, as well as performing value engineering (VE) and forensic studies.
- Preparation and review of geotechnical engineering reports, technical documents, and presentations, for a variety of applications, projects, and clients.
- Communicate with clients and regulators, establish goals and objectives for project teams, and schedule and coordinate resources, to deliver projects on time, within budget, and to the quality expectations of the client.
- Serve as a direct supervisor – Oversee, develop, and mentor geotechnical engineering staff.
- Support and contribute to our regional growth strategy plan for our geotechnical and water markets.
- Participate in the development of a cohesive, positive culture for our Jersey City Office and company-wide to cultivate a best-in-class environment that allows our people to realize their full potential.
- Contribute to maintaining and developing Schnabel’s strong brand in the geotechnical and water markets through thought leadership embodied in published papers, white papers, and participation at recognized conferences and workshops.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Geotechnical and/or Civil Engineering, or related fields.
- 8+ years of experience in the geotechnical engineering field.
- Licensed Professional Engineer or ability to become registered within 6 months.
- Extensive geotechnical background, including a strong fundamental knowledge of principles of geotechnical and geostructural engineering, soil and rock mechanics, earthquake engineering, and groundwater hydrology.
- Relevant geotechnical expertise with dams and water impounding structures, cofferdams, and other hydraulic structures, including but not limited to seepage, static and seismic stability analysis, liquefaction analysis, deformation analysis, and foundation and settlement analysis.
- Strong technical background using various geotechnical and computer-aided design software, such as Geostudio, Rocscience, gINT, CWALSHT, PYWall, LPILE, GROUP, and AutoCAD/Civil 3D. Numerical modeling using programs such as PLAXIS and FLAC are a plus.
- Organized, self-starter with a strong entrepreneurial and team spirit.
- Excellent English technical verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to occasionally travel to project sites, both local and remote, and be able to lift heavy loads (up to 25 pounds).
EOE including Veterans and DisabilityEqual Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)