Senior Consultant-Geotechnical Engineer
Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all experiences, skillsets, backgrounds and walks of life. We actively foster a work environment and culture where inclusion and diversity is part of our fundamental structure. This is delivered behaviorally, through our policies, trainings, local partnerships with professional diverse organizations, internal networks and most importantly with the support and sponsorship of our leaders who help drive our commitment to an inclusive, diverse, welcoming and equitable work environment. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
We are a global leader in environmental consulting - made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder - with world-class expertise in environmental, social and governance (ESG), climate resiliency & sustainability (CRS), and earth sciences. Combined we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change. As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from across the globe.
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Senior Consultant-Geotechnical Engineer for our Pittsburgh office located in Wexford, PA. In this multi-faceted senior consultant role, you will have the opportunity to manage large projects and portfolios of projects, perform engineering designs, prepare and review technical reports, build local and regional teams, and participate in client development.This position includes working with experienced teams on a variety of projects for a variety of industries, including oil and gas, transportation, and power. This position provides an opportunity to join a fast-paced team that provides solutions on geological, civil, and geotechnical engineering projects to national key clients.
- Provide proactive and strategic leadership for the geotechnical engineering discipline and function, offering direction, expertise, and support to ensure project and work site deliverables are successfully achieved within the business sector.
- Perform engineering review of permit applications, engineering design plans and specifications, standby plans and engineering contracts, integrated management plans, and periodic construction inspections, to ensure that they comply with applicable state and/or federal regulations and sound engineering practice and standards.
- Lead larger-scale more complex geotechnical engineering projects ensuring contributors know what they are required to do and by when, preparing and overseeing relevant project budgets, monitoring external events, tracking hours and expenses, ensuring satisfactory performance, and supervising subcontractors, contract work, and employees.
- Responsible for the pursuit and development of business and the successful execution of work for current and potential infrastructure work within a geography specifically for the large projects within the area.
- Support and manage large, diverse projects with services that include an emphasis on geohazard identification, field reconnaissance, sub-surface investigations, engineering design, construction support, and hazard monitoring.
- Provide technical support for construction projects to minimize effects of geologic hazards; prepare recommendation reports with collaborative participation and review.
- Prepare documents and review those prepared by junior staff, including data evaluations, specifications, work plans, calculations, and cost estimates.
- Provide technical direction, oversight, mentoring, and training to junior-level staff in all aspects of project delivery.
- Support the overall long-term strategy, growth, and pipeline development of Geotechnical Engineering work for WSP in assigned area of responsibility, with a focus on infrastructure opportunities in all disciplines (planning, design, permitting, program/construction management, and strategic consulting).
- Meet with various public or private entities or individuals to discuss issues relating to a variety of engineering/construction challenges and programs.
- Ensure that engineering discipline certifications, accreditations, and value proposition is developed and continuously improved.
- Conduct needs analyses and client value surveys to align the engineering discipline’s function with business and project strategy, identifying and addressing any skill gaps or risks within the sector business operations.
- Schedule engineering discipline meetings, providing updates and recommendations to ensure that all reasonable and proper measures are taken to inculcate discipline expertise and innovation into project work.
- Serve as one of the engineering discipline’s lead representatives/liaison to a variety of external entities including Federal, State, and Local Agencies, Clients, Subcontractors, industry-related groups, and various government and community entities.
- Develop and inform proposal and project scopes, timelines, pricing, and budgetary metrics – and accountable for planning, development, and management of projects in compliance with all applicable City/State/Federal codes and regulations, and in accordance with all acceptable engineering practices.
- Interpret and summarize data, including reports and documents that result in sound engineering and regulatory conclusions.
- Provide verbal and/or written inputs to multi-disciplinary project teams and contribute to providing high level strategic advice to clients.
- Develop a client base for providing high level geotechnical engineering services including identifying additional business development opportunities, and cross-selling of other WSP capabilities.
- Mentor staff to support their growth and professional development.
- Collaborate with professionals from a variety of disciplines to provide “trusted advisor” service and future ready solutions for clients
- Support national and regional client programs through active participation with appropriate national and global technical teams.
- Contribute to the development and execution of business plans related to the growth of our services; provide market and industry insight and facilitate development of marketing strategies.
- Participate in identification of regional technical needs and recruiting for these skills in collaboration with senior colleagues.
- Local and potentially national travel for project delivery and client development, expected to be less than 25 percent of the time.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, or closely related discipline.
- 12+ years of relevant post education experience in engineering, geotechnical and infrastructure design.
- Engineer license required (multi-state preferred).
- Strong verbal communication, writing, analytical, and organizational skills combined with a positive attitude and an ability to work both independently and within groups, including with technical peers across the company, client contacts, and subcontractors.
- Understanding of the importance of health & safety as a top priority and an enthusiasm to participate in company and client programs and visibly lead by example.
- Strong project management skills with experience leading teams on complex or multi-project programs.
- Strong working knowledge of relevant construction laws, codes, regulations, permitting, compliance practices, and record-keeping requirements, and the business impact upon the organization.
- Advanced proficiency with making technical computations and calculations involving the application of engineering principles, understanding plans and specifications and making factual comparisons to the appropriate regulations.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively, persuasively, and tactfully interact with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Tactical lateral thinking and strong analytical skills with attention to detail and prioritization of responsibilities in a pressure work environment.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including senior management, clients, regulators, and company-wide staff, including those with whom no formal hierarchical relationship exits.
- Advanced proficiency with office automation, discipline-specific design software (i.e., MicroStation, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcGIS, InRoads, Geopak, GeoSlope, ANSYS, STADD, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS), technology, math principles, predictive models, spreadsheets, and tools.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- Strong experience in managing the review and approval of documents and discipline-specific deliverables, certifications, processes, and plans in a multi-project environment is highly desirable.
- Experience with foundation design, slope stability, horizontal directional drilling, general civil design, construction, and other geohazard identification and data evaluation skills.
- A client-centric mindset and desire to work within a larger team focused on timely, high-quality service delivery.
- Understanding of local and federal permitting and regulations.
- Willingness to work on projects across business sectors, performing a variety of tasks, sometimes on short notice.
- Proficiency with geotechnical engineering software, AutoCAD, and GIS. #LI-BJ1
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Travel Required: 25%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: WEXFORD - BROOKTREE RD
- All locations: US-PA-Pittsburgh, US-PA-Wexford
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 15,000 employees in over 300 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.comWSP provides a flexible, agile and hybrid workplace model while meeting client needs. Employees are also afforded a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.