DescriptionOPEN RECRUITMENTOpen Until Filled This is a position specific recruitment. The resulting list of eligible candidates will be used to fill this Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) position/function only. All interested persons will need to re-apply for any future recruitment conducted of this classification.
The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) owns, operates, and maintains eight major toll facilities comprised of four bridges, two tunnels, and two turnpikes, across the State of Maryland. For 50 years, the MDTA has provided Maryland's citizens and visitors with safe, secure and convenient transportation facilities. We are committed to quality and excellence in customer service, and we rely on our organization's values, traditions and – most importantly – our employees to achieve these goals.
Nature of Work: This position is responsible for managing the preservation efforts of all the MDTA's highway and bridge facilities, including the large complex structures. The incumbent in this position is responsible for managing, tracking, assigning, and performing complex remedial engineering for all task assignments to on-call construction contracts. Duties for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develops, manages, and maintains the MDTA's asset management program for compliance with federal standards and regulations, including performance metric evaluation and gap identification, resource and risk analysis, life cycle cost analysis, and cost estimating, tracking, monitoring, and control;
- Conducts engineering and economic analysis to identify the cost-effective and safe sequence of maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, and replacement activities for the development of the Capital and Operating Structures Preservation program and the long-range needs;
- Oversees field inspections, using a state vehicle, to obtain field measurements and condition assessments to determine appropriate repair priority and scope for defects;
- Works closely with the MDTA's Capital Planning Division by providing project schedules, updates, budget and capital expenditures, and scope modifications;
- Responds to urgent and/or emergency events involving the condition of bridges or other structures and assists in making important decisions on the necessary actions;
- Performs the designs for major and minor structural repair by studying the feasibility and economic constraints of various repair options; and
- Assists in the rating of consultant Expressions of Interest and Technical Proposals for the purpose of obtaining expertise and manpower to execute Structural Preservation projects and maintenance of the MDTA's system and inspection contracts.
Employees in this position will report directly to the Structures Engineering Manager. The current vacancy exists in Baltimore, Maryland at the MDTA Francis Scott Key (FSK) Office of Engineering and Construction Building. QualificationsPossession of a Maryland Professional Engineer license, in the appropriate option, is required. Evidence of license must be presented at the time of appointment.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience managing engineering projects as a licensed, professional engineer. ** One year of this experience must have involved managing, leading, or designing bridge engineering projects.*This statement contains a selective qualification, which is more focused in scope than the minimum qualifications for this classification. Selective qualifications are utilized when the position requires specific or additional bona fide occupational qualifications (i.e., knowledge, skill or ability). Consideration for employment may be based solely on the contents of your application; therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information. Please include all relevant experience on your application. This includes, but is not limited to, full or part time, volunteer, military, acting capacity, or any other experience that is relevant to the position you are applying for. If you have held more than one (1) position at the same employer, please list each position that you held and the length of time that you held each position. For education obtained outside the U.S., at the time of application you are required to provide proof of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service, such as the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (http://www.naces.org) or World Education Services: International Credential Evaluation (https://www.wes.org/). This must be submitted as an attachment with the application of the position in which you are applying.Licenses & Certifications1. An applicant’s current license as a Professional Engineer in a state with comparable requirements acceptable to the Maryland State Board for Professional Engineers, in the appropriate option for which application is made, will be accepted but the applicant must obtain a Maryland Professional Engineer license within twelve (12) months of appointment. Evidence of out of state license must be presented at time of appointment.2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.Notes:1. Registration requirements are established under Title 14, Business Occupations and Professions Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland.2. Employees of the Maryland Department of Transportation assigned to especially sensitivelocations or facilities may be required to obtain and maintain a special security badge.Additional Information1. Employees may be subject to emergency recall 24 hours a day and may be required to maintain a reliable communication link (telephone or pager) for the purpose of emergency call back requirements.
2. Eligible applicants may be subject to a background investigation under federal or State laws and regulations. A conviction is not an automatic disqualification to employment. Erroneous, misleading or fraudulent information on an application is sufficient grounds for rejection from the hiring process, removal from the list of eligibles, withdrawal of an offer for employment or immediate discharge. APPLICATION PROCESS: Please apply on-line at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mdotmd. RESUMES CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED FOR THE ONLINE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. Paper applications (Form DTS-1) will not be accepted for this recruitment.
Please be advised that the State of Maryland is dedicated to a drug-free workplace, and as a result, employees are subject to the State's Substance Abuse Policy to include possible drug testing. Selected candidate(s) may be subject to background and reference checks.
The incumbent in this position will not be a member of a covered bargaining unit.
The Maryland Transportation Authority is not sponsoring new employees in application of the H-1B Visa or providing an extension of an existing H-1B Visa at this time due to budgetary constraints. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Federal regulations prohibit H1B Visa candidates from paying sponsorship fees, all sponsorship fees must be assumed by the potential employer. WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MDTA does not discriminate based on age, ancestry, color, creed, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, or sexual orientation.
Reasonable Accommodations for persons with disabilities will be provided upon request.
Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify us in advance. MD Relay Service Number 1-800-735-2258 (TTY Number: 711). Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Issue Date: 09/01/2022