HELP US GROW OUR TEAM! NTH IS HIRING A GEOTECHNICAL PROJECT ENGINEER!Join the FUN CULTURE at a 2021 NATIONAL BEST AND BRIGHTEST COMPANY, 2021 CRAIN’S COOL PLACES TO WORK AND 2020 DETROIT FREE PRESS TOP WORKPLACE. Exciting project work, professional development and a robust employee engagement program set us apart.NTH is a regionally recognized engineering firm specializing in professional civil, environmental, geotechnical and infrastructure consulting engineering and offering many employee perks.
- Flexible and hybrid schedules
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Company-paid Employee Assistance Program
- Medical and Dental (NTH pays majority of premium)
- Vision (Modest premium)
- Paid parental leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Financial assistance for professional certifications
EducationMaster of Science degree in Civil Engineering (emphasis on geotechnical engineering) or related degree from a 4-year accredited college or university. RegistrationProfessional licensure in the State of Michigan or another state required. Technical Experience
- 5-8 years of demonstrated experience in Civil Engineering or Geotechnical Engineering analysis and design.
- Excellent skills in geotechnical applications and soil-structure interaction.
- Experience with software for geotechnical analysis and design of slope stability, earth retention / shoring, settlement, vertical and lateral loading of shallow and deep foundations, and related items is necessary.
- Experience with soft soil conditions and finite element modeling is highly desirable.
- Ability to independently characterize subsoil conditions, starting from development of an exploration program through laboratory testing, evaluation of data, and design parameter recommendations.
Key Job ElementsIn this role, you will:
- Coordinate field observations and studies, including on-site direction of geotechnical drilling activities, as needed.
- Observe test boring drilling, test pit excavation, monitoring well installation, and install and read geotechnical instrumentation.
- Monitor construction operations, including earthwork, dewatering, and excavation support installations and prepare engineering field reports.
- Coordinate construction quality control services, conduct periodic site visits, and review daily field reports prepared by others.
- Conduct laboratory and field testing of soils and rock along with interpretation of data from a variety of tests.
- Perform a variety of engineering analyses and calculations, with and without the use of engineering software.
- Prepare technical proposals, cost estimates, plans/drawings, technical specifications, and reports, including day-to-day correspondence.
- Develop and present project-specific or technical presentations to clients, technical organizations, and in-house staff.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to work in a team environment as well as independently, demonstrated team-oriented approach to problem-solving, and have strong interpersonal skills for contact with clients and fellow engineers/technicians.
- Accuracy, dependability, and strong organizational skills are required.
- Exceptional time management skills, ability to manage multiple assignments at any given time, and ability to work in a team environment are required.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license, and be willing to travel to and conduct field work at job sites/offices in Michigan.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- May be required to enter and work within confined spaces, once appropriately trained.
Leadership and Project Management Experience
- At least 1 year of demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring and leading junior staff is required.
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product is required.
- Ability to perform project planning, budgeting, task delegation, and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans.
- Experience with Project Administration, including invoicing and collections, is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to seek and establish new clients and build good business relationships with both new and current clients.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional business relationships with targeted clients
- Must be able to conduct periodic site / client visits and project and business development meetings
- May be required to assist in developing business strategies and action plans for creating growth opportunities
- May be required to work with Business Development staff to develop new clients and opportunities
Work AuthorizationMust be authorized to work full-time in the U.S.A. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired are required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. AAP / EEO StatementNTH Consultants, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.NTH Consultants, Ltd. participates in E-Verify.Division/Market:Location:Detroit, MIState/Territory:US-MIOpenings:1Education Level:Certification:Travel %: