McPhail Associates, LLC (McPhail) provides geotechnical engineering, geoenvironmental engineering, geothermal energy, contracting support, and below-grade waterproofing consultation services to architects, owners, contractors, institutions, and developers. McPhail’s professional team is made up of practical, detail oriented, and highly motivated problem solvers who hold professional certifications and degrees in civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science, and geology.
As a Geotechnical Project Engineer, you will be working with a dedicated team of engineers, geologists, and scientists on project-related tasks involving subsurface explorations, foundation-related construction, and remediation of soil and groundwater impacted by oil and hazardous materials. Your responsibilities will include coordinating and performing field investigations and analyses at construction sites in and around the Greater Boston area and throughout New England, preparing project proposals and budgets, and designing temporary excavation support systems.
- Planning and executing subsurface explorations. - Prepare geotechnical engineering reports for a wide variety of projects for transportation, buildings, environmental, tunnels, water/wastewater facilities, dams, landfills, and general civil engineering. - Preparation of project proposals and budgets. - Engineering analyses, studies, and calculations. - Geotechnical computer modeling. - Design of temporary excavation support systems. - Interact and communicate with staff, clients, and subcontractors. - Overseeing and mentoring other junior engineers and staff. - Provide geotechnical support during construction phase. - Perform non-destructive geophysical techniques and train others. - Responsible for additional geotechnical-related tasks, as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in civil engineering. Master’s degree preferred with geotechnical or structural focus. - Minimum of 3 - 5 years of relevant professional experience. - Minimum of 1 - 3 years of experience monitoring subsurface explorations and/or foundation-related construction involving earth retention systems in the field is preferred. - Minimum of 2 years of experience performing earth support design, geotechnical analysis, and other related tasks is preferred. - Strong structural engineering skills (structural analysis and steel design) is preferred.
- Experience in planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, and monitoring projects involving both overhead and underground engineering systems. - Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification preferred or about to obtain within 1 year. - Strong organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. - Excellent time management skills and detail oriented. - Possess ability to maintain effective working relationships with project managers and contractors through clear communication and accurate detailed reporting. - Current 10-hour OSHA Construction Industry Training or 40-hour HAZWOPER training is preferred, but not required. - Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook). - Experience with Bluebeam Revu, PLAXIS, Blastware, LPILE, Shoring, SLOPE, Settle3D, Slide2, MathCAD, MODFLOW, GRLWEAP, and/or Shake is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable daily transportation. - Ability to travel to project sites in Massachusetts and surrounding areas. - The position requires individuals to work in potentially dangerous surroundings, sometimes in inclement weather conditions including rain. You must have the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Competitive wages plus overtime eligibility. - Annual personal equipment/gear stipend. - Monthly cell phone stipend. - Expense reimbursement. - Medical coverage to eligible employees with premiums fully paid for by the company. - Dental and vision coverage options. - Pre-tax Health Savings Account option. - Paid holidays, paid vacation, and sick time. - Generous employer contribution to the retirement plan. - Employer-paid Life and Disability insurance. - Education reimbursement. - Opportunity for professional growth and advancement. - Annual summer and winter company-wide outings, and much more!
McPhail is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for
employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local laws.