McPhail Associates, LLC (McPhail) provides geotechnical engineering, geoenvironmental engineering, geothermal energy, contracting support, and below-grade waterproofing consultation services to architects, owners, contractors, institutions, and developers. McPhail’s professional team is made up of practical, detail oriented, and highly motivated problem solvers who hold professional certifications and degrees in civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science, and geology.
As a Geotechnical Engineer, you will be working with a dedicated team of engineers, geologists, and scientists on projects involving subsurface explorations, foundation-related construction, and remediation of soil and groundwater impacted by oil and hazardous materials. Your responsibilities will include performing on-site observation at construction sites in and around the Greater Boston area and throughout New England and documenting geotechnical and/or geoenvironmental aspects of subsurface explorations programs, construction and/or remediation projects in accordance with the project’s scope of services. As you gain experience, your responsibilities will also include preparing proposals and cost estimates, planning, and executing subsurface exploration programs, contributing to geotechnical report preparation, performing geotechnical analysis, and reviewing contractor submittals.
- Monitor foundation-related construction activities such as earthwork, ground improvement, and pile installation. - Prepare daily field reports, and forms/logs as required. - Perform environmental sampling of soil, groundwater, soil gas, and indoor air. - Monitor environmental remediation. - Perform laboratory geotechnical testing. - Perform vibration monitoring with seismographs. - Monitor subsurface explorations (e.g., borings, test pits). - Preparation of project proposals and budgets. - Planning and executing subsurface explorations. - Contributing to the preparation of geotechnical engineering reports. - Engineering analyses, studies, and calculations. - Geotechnical computer modeling. - Interact and communicate with staff, clients, and subcontractors. - Overseeing and mentoring staff engineers.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering or related discipline. - Currently enrolled in or has obtained Master’s Degree in engineering. - Prior geotechnical-related experience is a plus.
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification preferred or able to obtain within one (1) year. - Strong organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. - Excellent time management skills and detail oriented. - Possess ability to maintain effective working relationships with project staff and contractors through clear communication and accurate detailed reporting. - Current 10-hour OSHA Construction Industry Training or 40-hour HAZWOPER training is preferred, but not required. - Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Bluebeam Revu. - Experience with PLAXIS, Instantel, LPILE, Shoring, SLOPE, Settle3, Slide2, MathCAD, MODFLOW, GRLWEAP, and/or Shake is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable daily transportation. - Ability to travel to project sites in Massachusetts and surrounding areas. - The position requires individuals to work in potentially dangerous surroundings, sometimes in inclement weather conditions including rain. You must have the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Competitive wages plus overtime eligibility. - Annual personal equipment/gear stipend. - Monthly cell phone stipend. - Expense reimbursement. - Medical coverage to eligible employees with premiums fully paid for by the company. - Dental and vision coverage options. - Pre-tax Health Savings Account option. - Paid holidays, paid vacation, and sick time. - Generous employer contribution to the retirement plan. - Employer-paid Life and Disability insurance. - Education reimbursement. - Opportunity for professional growth and advancement. - Annual summer and winter company-wide outings, and much more!
McPhail is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for
employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local laws.