McPhail Associates, LLC (McPhail) provides geotechnical engineering, geoenvironmental engineering, geothermal energy, contracting support, and below-grade waterproofing consultation services to architects, owners, contractors, institutions, and developers. McPhail’s professional team is made up of practical, detail oriented, and highly motivated problem solvers who hold professional certifications and degrees in civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science, and geology
As a Senior Geotechnical Staff Engineer, you will be working with a dedicated team of engineers, geologists, and scientists on projects in the field involving subsurface explorations, foundation-related construction, and remediation of soil and groundwater impacted by oil and hazardous materials. Your responsibilities will include performing onsite observation at construction sites in and around the Greater Boston area and throughout New England and documenting geotechnical and/or geoenvironmental aspects of subsurface explorations programs, construction and/or remediation projects in accordance with the project’s scope of services. You’ll also collect and test soil and groundwater samples from various project sites.
- Monitor foundation-related construction activities such as earthwork, ground improvement, and pile installation. - Perform in-place density testing on backfill material. - Coordinate with contractors. - Prepare clear, accurate, and detailed field reports daily. - Perform environmental sampling of soil, groundwater, soil gas, and indoor air. - Monitor environmental remediation. - Assist with laboratory geotechnical testing. - Perform vibration monitoring with seismographs. - Monitor subsurface explorations (e.g., borings, test pits). - Communicate activities with site contractors and project team daily. - Maintain and operate field equipment/instrumentation as required in accordance with specified procedures. - Mentoring, coaching, and training of less experienced technical staff as required. - Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in in civil engineering, environmental science, geology, construction technology or related discipline. Equivalent additional directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree. - Minimum 5 years related geotechnical field technician experience. - Experience working with minimum supervision. - Strong organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills and detail oriented. - Possess ability to maintain effective working relationships with project managers and contractors through clear communication and accurate detailed reporting. - Current 10-hour OSHA Construction Industry Training or 40-hour HAZWOPER training is preferred, but not required. - Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Bluebeam Revu.
- Valid driver’s license with reliable daily transportation. - Ability to travel to project sites in Massachusetts and surrounding areas. - The position requires individuals to work in potentially dangerous surroundings, sometimes in inclement weather conditions including rain. You must have the ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Competitive wages plus “time and a half” for overtime. - Annual personal equipment/gear stipend. - Monthly cell phone stipend. - Expense reimbursement. - Medical coverage to eligible employees with premiums fully paid for by the company. - Dental and vision coverage options. - Pre-tax Health Savings Account option. - Paid holidays, paid vacation, and sick time. - Generous employer contribution to the retirement plan. - Employer-paid Life and Disability insurance. - Education reimbursement. - Opportunity for professional growth and advancement. - Annual summer and winter company-wide outings, and much more!
McPhail is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local laws.