GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. (GZA) is actively growing our Dams, Levee and Water Resource practice in the Mid-Atlantic area supported by a strong backlog of existing dam engineering work. We are currently seeking a Dams/Geotechnical Senior Engineer for our Fairfield, New Jersey office who will also work closely with other GZA offices. The position offers great potential for professional growth in an exciting working environment and the opportunity to apply the latest technologies to our dam/levee-related projects, including hydroelectric facilities. The qualified candidate must have strong leadership and project management experience and direct business development experience during their career, with the ability to generate project leads and build client relationships. A strong background in dam and/or levee engineering is preferred.
This position requires direct interaction with clients and the ability to manage and mentor GZA staff level engineers. The role will also require collaboration with GZA’s current dams/levees/water resources Practice Leaders on expanding our market presence in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
- Providing leadership/mentoring to technical staff
- Communicating effectively and efficiently with team members, clients and contractors
- Interacting with clients and regulatory agencies
- Executing project management duties including managing and tracking budgets, invoicing, assessing staffing requirements
- Preparing technical and cost proposals
- Supervising fieldwork including test borings and instrumentation installations and construction monitoring for dam and levee rehabilitation projects
- Providing data analysis, organization, and interpretation in support of dam/levee inspections, evaluations, and rehabilitations projects.
- Executing and/or supervising engineering analyses including seepage and slope stability analyses of embankment dams and levees, toe drain and filter designs, gravity dam stability analyses.
- Writing and/or reviewing field reports, inspection/engineering reports, and permit applications
- Managing and reviewing the preparation of construction plans and technical specifications
- Supervising and reviewing dam and/or levee safety inspections
- Collaboration with a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects
- Professional development and enrichment programs
- Exciting work environment
- Opportunities for company ownership, financial growth & career advancement
- Generous, company-subsidized benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and 401K retirement plan
- B.S. in Civil Engineering or related field of practice is required. Master’s Degree with a Geotechnical focus is a plus.
- Professional Engineer license in NJ is required with the ability to obtain PE in NY and PA.
- An ideal candidate will have at least 10 to 15 years of experience in civil – geotechnical engineering, with direct involvement in dam safety inspections, condition assessments, subsurface exploration programs, engineering analyses, dam rehabilitation design, and regulatory permitting.
- Direct experience completing projects with public sector/municipal agencies in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania is highly preferred.
- Proven experience with design and development of engineering technical specifications, cost estimating and other related bidding documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to speak publicly.
- Solid project financial management skills; knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency are all required competencies.
- Experience in providing technical and project leadership to staff-level or junior engineers.
- A strong background using various geotechnical computer software such as SEEP/W, SLOPE/W, and finite element analysis software such as PLAXIS are preferred.
- Occasional out-of-town travel will be required. Candidate must have consistent means of transportation to/from project sites.
GZA is an employee-owned multidisciplinary environmental consulting, geotechnical engineering, geo-civil engineering, construction management and environmental remediation firm. We are an ENR Top 500 Design firm focused on geotechnical, environmental, water, ecological, and construction management services. With a staff of interrelated professionals dedicated to providing high-level expertise on complex projects above, below and at ground-level, GZA’s experts provide seamless integration across practice areas, client type, and location.
GZA values diversity and is committed to providing an accepting and inclusive work environment for all employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. GZA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, marital or veteran status, age or other protected status.