Do you want to help engineer what’s next?Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about geotechnical engineering and problem solving.The Heavy Civil Division provides engineering services with emphasis on investigation, repair, and rehabilitation of a variety of deteriorated or underperforming structures, as well as new design of constructed works. The ideal candidate will support the continued development of a wide array of geotechnical, geo-structural, and construction engineering services within SGH. The candidate will be expected to have a strong technical background to support our work by conducting geotechnical and geo-structural analyses, preparing drawings and specifications, researching technical issues, writing reports, conducting field visits, and performing construction administration activities.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Perform various types of engineering analyses and design associated with deep and shallow foundations, earth retaining structures, excavation support systems, soil settlement, slope stability, soil dynamics and earthquake engineering, groundwater flow and seepage, earthen embankments/dams/reservoirs, tunnels, and asphalt and concrete pavement.
- Assist in planning, scheduling, conducting and/or coordinating field and laboratory services for a wide range of project types including new design, forensic investigations, and repair/remediation.
- Assist in preparing reports.
- Assist in the preparation of drawings and project specifications suitable for construction.
- Perform construction administration and construction monitoring duties.
- Assist in the preparation of scope, schedules, and budgets for proposals.
What You’ll Need:
- MS with a concentration in Geotechnical or GeoStructural Engineering.
- Communication skills: excellent written, oral and verbal communication skills. Ability to convey information to internal and external clients clearly.
- Problem-solving ability: capability to solve minor or complex problems using data, logic, and judgement. Strong attention to detail with excellent analytical skills.
- Team-oriented mindset – ability to work successfully with others toward a shared goal with active participation.
- Accountability and responsibility - ability to meet deadlines. Willingness to take independent initiative to ensure tasks are completed.
- Enthusiasm, passion, and desire for continued learning of new ideas and concepts.
- Familiarity with geotechnical computer analysis software preferred (e.g., GEOSLOPE Suite, Slide, Plaxis, LPILEplus, CIVILTech Shoring, DeepEX, Settle3D, etc.)
- Valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
- Willingness to travel to out-of-state project sites on occasion and ability to travel to remote job sites not accessible by public transportation.
- FE/EIT certification, preferred.
What makes careers at SGH so special?The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.There are many reasons to love SGH.• Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
• Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
• Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
• Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity. SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply.