Do you want to help engineer what’s next?Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH) is a national engineering firm committed to delivering holistic advice for our clients’ most complex challenges. We leverage our collective and diverse experience, technical expertise, and industry knowledge of structures and building enclosures, advanced analysis, code consulting, and applied science & research to deliver unrivaled, comprehensive solutions that drive superior performance. With more than 600 employees in eight office locations throughout the United States, SGH’s industry-leading teams constantly seek to advance the meaning of what’s possible.We want someone passionate about structural engineering and problem solving.Our Washington, D.C. Structures Division provides structural engineering services with an emphasis on new design, repair and rehabilitation of constructed works, and investigation and performance evaluation. We implement innovative techniques for design, analysis, and project management. SGH laboratories support our design and investigation work with material, mechanical, and environmental testing. This combination of experience, capability, and dedication to improving the practice of engineering positions SGH as a leading provider of engineering services. The Washington D.C. Structures Division is currently looking to hire a structural engineer with a minimum of 5 years’ industry experience. The Structural Engineer will be expected to conduct structural evaluations, design, and investigative projects; complete and review analysis and design calculations; execute and manage the preparation of drawings and specifications; manage project budgets and schedules; assist with mentoring of junior staff; interact with clients; and manage construction projects.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work on a wide range of structural-engineering analysis and design projects involving steel, concrete, masonry and wood structures.
- Implement design or analysis tasks using a variety of building codes.
- Assist in the preparation of drawings and specifications.
- Execute the construction-administration phase of projects, including bid assistance, submittal review, site meetings, observations of completed work, etc.
- Plan and conduct site investigations to document existing conditions.
- Help mentor and develop less experienced engineers.
- Interact with the client within context of project work.
- Pursue professional activities to gain professional recognition.
- Interest and ability to co-publish articles/papers.
What You’ll Need:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in structural analysis and design of concrete, steel, masonry, and wood frame structures. Proficiency with behavior and performance of materials.
- MS in Structural Engineering from an ABET-accredited university.
- Structural Engineering License.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Proficient in writing and editing of project specifications, technical reports, field reports, project correspondence, and proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Proficient with computer analysis software (e.g., ETABS, SAP, RISA, RAM, SAFE, etc.)
- Ability to work in and review work in AutoCAD or Revit. Experience with Rhino, Sketchup, Solidworks, or similar programs are a plus.
- Proficient in the use of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other Office suite software
- Ability to travel to remote job sites not accessible by public transportation, and if applicable, an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report.
What makes careers at SGH so special?The only way to advance is to question and explore. Every member of the SGH team is both a learner and an educator, committed to advancing ourselves, our teams, and our industry. Together we are creating a community that never settles for what is, but always seeks what could be.There are many reasons to love SGH.
- Our Work: Our clients trust us to bring clarity and deliver outstanding solutions for their most complex projects.
- Our People: We are bold thinkers and compassionate teammates, committed to lifelong learning and professional growth.
- Our Commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back to our professions and communities.
- Our Contribution: We offer a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH® is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply.