Staff Geotechnical Engineer
At Haley & Aldrich, our goal is to deliver exceptional service to our clients and our communities. And we know that to do so, we need diverse and unconventional thinkers. That’s why we foster a culture that provides collaboration, flexibility, and support – so our staff can bring their unique value to bear, and explore the areas they’re passionate about. Are you looking to work in an environment where you can be your authentic self and work on projects that are meaningful to you?The Buildings & Infrastructure Division at Haley & Aldrich is currently seeking a Staff Geotechnical Engineer to work in a technical support role with highly skilled professionals on diverse project teams in a dynamic environment. We offer new engineers the opportunity to work on challenging geotechnical and environmental services projects for a wide range of clients. This position entails travel to job sites and working outside of the office setting some of the time conducting site and subsurface characterization for environmental and geotechnical projects and/or monitoring contractor's geotechnical and environmental-related activities during construction. This is a great "hands on" position, and the professional who takes on this role has the opportunity to advance and grow with the organization. This is a full-time position to be located in the Bay Area – preferably in Walnut Creek, Oakland or San Jose, CA office.PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT AN INTERNSHIP - No visa sponsorship available for this position. DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will:
- Provide construction monitoring/on-site engineering observation for both geotechnical and environmental projects.
- Perform site reconnaissance to observe existing conditions, assess for subsurface explorations, and identify important site features.
- Monitor subsurface exploration activities that include the use of test boring and geoprobe rigs, and machine excavated test pits to gather soil and bedrock samples.
- Conduct field investigations, including soil and groundwater sampling in accordance with applicable ASTM standards and other industry standard guidelines.
- Conduct geotechnical and environmental engineering analyses.
- Compile, reduce, analyze, manage, and report field, instrumentation, geological, and/or environmental data, using spreadsheets and other tools.
- Use of various geotechnical instrumentation and equipment.
- Support preparation of written reports, proposals, cost estimates, and other client deliverables, including Phase I and Phase II ESAs.
- Adhere to Site Specific Health and Safety Plans prepared for each project site. As applicable, participate in site safety briefings and audits by both contractors and Haley & Aldrich.
- Assist the onsite health and safety officer with monitoring and correcting safety behaviors and practices.
- Assist and report directly to the onsite Construction Manager to support daily construction operations.
- Preparation, maintenance, and implementation of various document control entities such as daily reports, material procurement logs, submittal logs, as-builts, testing and inspection logs, RFI logs, and change order logs.
- Work as a liaison to design and engineering teams to provide detailed and real-time information of field conditions to resolve technical problems.
- Perform onsite soil and groundwater sampling and testing duties as required to support the project for quality assurance.
- Preparing agendas, documents, meeting minutes, and actions for various meetings including owner/architect/contractor meetings, subcontractor coordination meetings, safety meetings, and staff meetings.
- Assist with status updates to the project schedule.
- Obtain vendor quotations to confirm or acquire market pricing.
- Assist with processing pay applications.
- B.S degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Master’s degree in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering preferred
- 2+ years of related civil engineering internship or work experience
- Organized work approach with the ability to adapt and adjust as required to support the projects current needs.
- A desire to seek out and resolve construction problems /conflicts that arise during design and construction phases
- Goal-orientated approach to promptly coordinate and resolve project issues within the project team (including interfacing with designers, engineers, and owners)
- Excellent listening and strong communication skills
- Ability to identify and resolve complex issues
- Effective participation in team environment
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite, project management software (CMiC, Prolog or similar), scheduling software (Primavera or similar) and BIM software (AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks or similar)
- A strong work ethic, a “can-do” attitude and a passion for construction
- Valid driver’s license
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER trained preferred but not required
- Nuclear Density Gauge Certification preferred but not required
About Haley & AldrichHaley & Aldrich, Inc. is committed to delivering the value our clients need from their capital, operations, and environmental projects. Our one-team approach allows us to draw from our 700 engineers, scientists, and constructors in 30 offices for creative collaboration and expert perspectives. Since our founding in 1957, we have one goal in all we do: deliver long-term value efficiently, no matter how straightforward or complex the challenge. In 2020, Haley & Aldrich acquired Hart Crowser, an engineering and environmental consultancy with extensive expertise in the Pacific Northwest and recognized for its cutting-edge performance-based seismic design methods. Visit http://www.haleyaldrich.com.Haley & Aldrich is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, age, disability, veteran or any other legally protected status. We offer excellent career growth, a highly competitive total compensation plan and a solid benefits package that includes; health, dental, vision; Short-Term/Long-Term Disability; 401(k) with match; generous vacation plan and paid time off; tuition reimbursement; long-term care, and more. Interested candidates should apply online on our Careers page.