Arup is a global privately held firm of designers, engineers, planners, and consultants, who regularly come together to devise solutions that benefit not just our clients, but also the world. Arup’s culture looks a lot like the future: globally-linked, locally-focused, and radically innovative. Arup’s New York office is seeking a Senior Tunneling Engineer with underground structures (e.g. bored and cut and cover tunnels, underground stations, shafts, mined caverns) and soil and/or rock mechanics background to provide engineering services to its clients on design and construction projects. Our team works on both local and international projects like the 2nd Avenue Subway.
- Lead small to medium size underground space development projects, particularly in the transportation, water, or mining sector, with minimal senior supervision
- Site supervision for infrastructure projects with focus on underground structures such as tunnels, shafts, chambers, and caverns.
- Interpret field and laboratory test results from ground investigation for design purposes as well as interpretation and preparation of Technical Reports, Geotechnical Baseline and/or Interpretive reports (GBRs/ GIRs).
- Familiarity with identification of ground behaviors and application of appropriate constitutive models such as Hoek-Brown, strain softening/hardening, creep, swelling, and brittle spall.
- Perform design and analysis using various industry standard engineering methods or software for underground structures including ground-structure interaction, empirical, kinematic stability, and beam-spring analysis.
- Selection of appropriate initial and final lining support systems for range of ground types and behaviors anticipated
- Prepare design reports, design calculations, sketches, drawings and specifications.
- Hands-on experience and experience in supervising others in the use of geotechnical and tunnel modeling software such as PLAXIS, RS2, UDEC, 3DEC or FLAC/3D.
- Perform structural design of underground structures in accordance with relevant Codes and Standards in the United States and Canada.
- Filling the role of Tunnel Discipline Leader in large scale infrastructure projects and working within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Lead bid development and proposal preparation for small and medium sized projects.
- Master’s degree in Geotechnical, Tunneling, Mining, Structural, or similar engineering field.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration or ability to acquire within 6 months
- Six (6) or more years of experience working on major tunneling infrastructure projects
- Experience in alternative delivery projects (Design-Build, PPP)
- Experience in tunneling design, underground construction and transit infrastructure.
- Proficiency in numerical modeling codes (i.e. Itasca, Rocscience) and other visualization and geometry softwares (i.e. Rhino, Revit)
- Strong knowledge of applicable local and/or industry standards
- Design experience for tunnels excavated by hard and soft ground TBM, drill and blast, and sequential excavation method (SEM) and their relevant support systems.
- Ability to grasp, discuss and present the main ideas and issues brought forward by all technical subject areas involved on these multidisciplinary projects
- Site supervision experience for tunnel and underground construction projects
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills are required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- Adopt and champion use of digital tools and automation to deliver best value for our clients.
Arup is an employee-owned company that offers an excellent benefits package. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 10% 401K matching
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long-Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. EOE including disability/veteran.