Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world. At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world. Arup’s Toronto office is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join the infrastructure team. The team brings together many of the skills and services available across Arup, from geotechnics, bridge design and tunnels, to rail and highway design. Responsibilities:
- Performing geotechnical design and analysis for geotechnical elements including deep and shallow foundations, earthworks, retaining walls, excavations, tunnels and underground structures.
- Supporting and assuming task management with geotechnical and tunneling projects.
- Providing site supervision duties for infrastructure and building projects.
- Interpreting field and laboratory test result from ground investigation for design purposes as well as interpretation and preparation of Geotechnical Baseline and/or Interpretive reports (GBRs/ GIRs).
- Preparing and reviewing design reports, design calculations, drawings and specifications
- Performing and supervising others in the use of geotechnical finite element modelling software such as PLAXIS, UDEC, 3DEC or FLAC.
- Carrying out seismic design of underground structures in accordance with relevant Codes and Standards in Canada and the United States.
- Working closely with CADD and BIM resources to prepare project drawings.
- Interacting with engineers from various disciplines and collaborating in the design of building foundations, bridge foundations, tunnels etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering. Master’s degree in Tunneling, Mining or Geotechnical Engineering is highly desirable.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in geotechnical engineering design with proven record of delivering project plans, analyses, design and preparation of deliverables for infrastructure projects.
- Eligibility for P.Eng in Canada. Additional PE and/or CEng is advantageous.
- Experience in supervising site works and performing site design changes.
- Familiarity with soil-structure interaction problems in a variety of soil conditions.
- Previous experience working for a geotechnical, mining or tunneling contractor in is advantageous.
- Highly innovative and creative in developing technically strong solutions.
- Strong focus on high quality deliverables, deadlines and budgets.
- Comfortable balancing multiple roles and responsibilities in high stress situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with clients, regulators, and junior staff.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate work within an integrated multidisciplinary team.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share. Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.