Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels. We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet. We are looking to add a Geotechnical Engineer to our New York Infrastructure team. We provide geotechnical services to our clients for design and construction projects locally, regionally, and globally. Our team works on projects like the New Stapleton Waterfront, Offshore Wind Foundations, and JFK Terminal 4 redevelopment.
- Performing geotechnical design and analysis for deep and shallow foundations, earthworks, retaining walls, excavations, tunnels, and underground structures.
- Collaborating within multi-disciplinary teams in the design of geotechnical elements for buildings and infrastructure projects, including residential and commercial buildings, bridges, tunnels, highways, railways, and airports.
- Preparing geotechnical reports, design drawings, and technical specifications
- Planning and being responsible for subsurface investigation, laboratory testing, and geotechnical instrumentation monitoring programs.
- Observing construction of geotechnical elements in the field, including pile driving, drilled shaft installation, shallow foundation subgrade preparation, and earthworks.
- Developing and maintaining client relationships, both internally and externally.
- Delegating to and coaching graduate geotechnical engineering staff.
- Working with senior staff to assist with business development activities and the preparation of bid proposals.
- Presenting technical material in traditional and innovative ways for review by technical and non-technical audiences.
- Understanding trends and standard methodologies in the infrastructure industry.
- Participating in local Professional Associations.
Technical Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geological, or Mining Engineering; Master’s Degree in Geotechnical/Tunneling Engineering preferred.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in geotechnical engineering practice with an emphasis on design and analysis of building foundations, civil works, excavations and underground structures.
- Experience in Soil-Structure Interaction (SSI) using 2D and 3D numerical modeling tools such as Plaxis, LS-DYNA or FLAC.
- Experience in data processing using digital tools: development of workflows and generation of automated processes.
- Good knowledge of federal and state/city codes.
- Experience in foundations construction oversight.
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills are required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Active in professional circles and industry societies.
- EIT/FE in New York is preferred.
Arup is an employee-owned company that offers an excellent benefits package. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 10% 401K matching
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Flexible working arrangements
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
- Short Term and Long-Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to grow. EOE including disability/veteran.