Why join us?Atkins has an opportunity for a dynamic individual to lead our south Florida transportation planning operations. This position will manage a variety of transportation planning projects for clients such as the Florida Department of Transportation, local governments in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, and the Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization. Under general direction, this position provides technical expertise to diverse planning projects throughout the assigned area of responsibility and/or company wide. Will perform routine traffic/transportation engineering/planning work while developing professional proficiency. May function as lead planner or technical consultant. Work may involve transportation, land utilization, urban planning, or environmental projects. On assignments involving investigations and planning work, the applicant will need a firm grasp of the fundamentals of planning processes and their application to urban, development and transportation planning. We are looking for an individual who is interested in multimodal transportation planning (including transit and active transportation), urban planning, and traffic engineering. The ideal candidate will be a person with broad urban planning and transportation planning skills who can lead and work on a variety of projects. About UsAtkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.How will you contribute to the team?Will function as lead planner/engineer or technical consultant. Work may involve transportation and transit planning projects, land utilization, urban planning, corridor planning, traffic analysis, freight planning, and transit planning. Additional duties may include:
- Planning and developing transportation projects or services, some concerned with unique or controversial problems which have an important effect on major client projects and programs.
- Serve as project manager or participate in technically complex, difficult, and sensitive interdisciplinary transportation planning studies. Develop and track project budgets, scopes, schedules, and performance measures; manage staff and consultant teams; work with agency partners; manage risks; and develop and implement public engagement plans.
- Analyze transportation systems and policies; identify needs and potential solutions, including evaluation of alternatives; recommend policies, plans and projects; prepare reports of findings, and ensure implementation of proposed solutions.
- Brief and deliver presentations to the public, management staff, and elected officials; provide information for various public information materials.
- Applying standard planning and engineering techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of somewhat diversified tasks requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning.
- Perform analytical and investigative tasks including traffic and crash data collection and data management.
- Perform field review of project study areas, such as pedestrian and bicycle demand/use studies, signal operations reviews, and traffic circulation studies.
- Assist with the technical tasks involved in urban and corridor planning studies and the documentation associated with governmental acceptance.
- Assist in the management of tasks related to traffic impact studies, corridor planning studies, feasibility studies, master plans, and highway safety studies, and; Prepare written reports and presentations of project findings.
- Develop concepts and alternatives based on identified needs and local stakeholder coordination
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Planning or related field.
- Typical incumbent has 12-15 years experience.
Special SkillsStrong technical writing and communication skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees.Applicant should have familiarity with transit planning, freight planning, active transportation, master plans, and corridor studies. Understanding of traffic analysis and simulation tools; familiarity with travel demand models is a plus. Will be eligible for project management training.Ideal candidate will be a self-promoter, energetic and personable. This position will interact directly and assist in marketing with clients in the South Florida market, including the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), numerous local governments, and the Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization (TPO). Applicants must demonstrate a hands-on, responsive client service orientation.Desired Qualifications:
- Demonstrated ability to independently set workload priorities; plan, direct, coordinate and review the work of assigned team members; and, work with demanding and competing deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Good judgment and demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues with diplomacy and poise, and the ability to gain management confidence.
- Experience in structured marketing initiatives and proposals development.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database and analysis software to prepare reports, track and develop briefing materials.
Professional RegistrationsAICP Certification or Florida P.E. license PreferredAdditional RequirementsProficiency in Spanish would be a plus.What we offer at Atkins:At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:https://careers.snclavalin.com/equal-opportunities-statementAtkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice. Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencie