Summary This is a full-time position to provide civil engineering and project management assistance to the Commercial/Industrial Sub-Practice Area. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinates a team of engineering technicians and lower-level civil engineers during the execution of a work plan for a variety of engineering projects.
- Prepare fee proposals/goal proposals for new projects.
- Provide overall project management.
- Assist with managing department projects.
- Delegate project assignments to engineers and technicians.
- Manage budgets and schedules.
- Perform engineering calculations in support of civil engineering design projects.
- Manage all engineering aspects of new land development projects.
- Coordinate AutoCAD drafting requirements in support of civil engineering design projects.
- Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
- Prepare and route project related correspondence and record keeping.
- Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work.
- Write and edit construction specifications and engineering reports.
- Tabulate bid items and calculate construction bid quantities from plans and specifications. Estimate construction costs.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities Supervises a team of Civil Engineers (from intern to level 5) in the Civil Engineering Department or the Materials Testing Department. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. QualificationsTo be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education and/or ExperienceCandidates should possess a B.S. degree from an ABET accredited civil engineering or related program and 15 years’ progressive experience.Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- PE Required: This position is for a licensed engineer to practice geotechnical engineering in the state of primary practice or should be licensed in a different state with the ability to get the required license within 6 months of hire.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Mathematical SkillsAbility to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Project software.
- AutoCAD Civil 3D knowledge and experience is highly desirable.
- Ability to prioritize special projects and daily workload to ensure that all work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)