About Burns:Burns Engineering provides professional engineering design and project management services for transportation, facilities, and infrastructure projects. We help our clients attain their strategic goals and initiatives through successful large-scale infrastructure projects. Burns’ full-service capabilities include mechanical, electrical, civil, structural, transportation, and energy consulting engineering.Recently voted a Top Workplace by Philly.com, we credit our strength as an organization to our talented, driven, vibrant team. Burns is an ENR Top 500 Firm, and has been named an MEP Giant by Consulting-Specifying Engineer Magazine, as well as a Hot Firm by Zweig. We are industry experts, proven leaders, innovative thinkers, and team players. We put our clients’ successes and best interests first, because their success is our success. We have fun at work because we love making a difference in the world. We are looking for high-energy, bright, collaborative individuals who want the opportunity to “write their own story” with us.Railroad & Transit TeamBurns provides design and construction solutions to help maintain, improve, and expand the nation’s railroad and transit infrastructure. We have designed the implementation of critical programs across the country, and support the renewed emphasis on a public transit-oriented lifestyle.Burns is currently seeking an Sr. Mechanical Engineer to join our Railroad & Transit team in Washington, D.C.SUMMARYThe Sr. Engineer makes independent decisions on engineering problems and methods. Requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories and practices of the field. Provides supervision and guidance related largely to overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts and policy matters. Develops solutions for larger and highly complex engineering projects. Supervises coordinates and reviews of the work of Assistant Engineers, Associate Engineers and Engineers. Continues to develop technical expertise in discipline and may begin to specialize in niche technical areas. The Senior Engineer will spend the majority of their time developing technical expertise and supporting others. Must dispense knowledge to staff through mentoring or internal presentations. Provides the production of projects on-time, in budget with high technical quality and client satisfaction.ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Capability to perform as the lead Mechanical/Plumbing designer on several concurrent projects.
- Ensures that company technical policies and procedures are practiced during the execution of projects for clients.
- Takes lead in developing design approaches and concepts on assigned projects and requests assistance from the senior technical staff when needed.
- Performs specific engineering studies and design analyses and assists the project manager in establishing budgets, cost estimates and project schedules.
- Capability to design drawing, write and review specifications, and develop calculation reports.
- Reviews shop drawings, product data, RFIs, record changes and communicate directly with suppliers, contractors and client representatives as required.
- Performs on-site inspections during construction and coordinates design requirements with contractors and equipment suppliers.
- Develops innovative technical solutions and engineering methods to enhance efficiency, quality and production
- Make and/or supervise the scoping, implementation and design of plans.
- Plan other consultation services. Maintain highest quality of design and review.
- Assists Project Managers in the coordination of project designs with other disciplines including attendance at project meetings.
- Assists in proposal writing and client presentations for future work.
- Maintain overall group schedule of project deliverable milestones, billing objectives and activity codes.
- Is recognized by clients as an expert technical resource.
- Actively participates in professional organizations and/or client groups where the technical reputation and image of the firm may be enhanced.
- When directed by the President, Project Manager or Chief Engineer assumes other duties.
- Sets technical direction for specific discipline on projects, determine discipline work tasks and flow, delegates design elements to Engineers. Designers and primarily retains most complex, high value tasks for self.
- Mentors junior staff
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESInformal task supervision of CAD Operators, Designers, Junior Associates, Associates, Engineers and Project Engineers at the direction of the Project Manager.EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Professionally Licensed Engineer
- Bachelor's (B.S.) Mechanical Engineering degree
- At least 15 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver’s license may be required; Should be working towards one or more certifications in specialization.LANGUAGE SKILLS
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as logarithms, higher order linear equations, calculus and economic analysis. Ability to apply knowledge to electrical, mechanical, or civil/structural design problems.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge/ability to learn MS Outlook Contact Management systems; MS Excel Spreadsheet software and MS Word, MS PowerPoint Word Processing software.
A demonstrated ability to perform system or project designs with only general technical supervision from the engineering staff. The ability to direct less experienced design team members and work within a design team environment. Potential to exercise independence in performing engineering studies and projects, assessing technical data or engineering plans and performing engineering tasks and plan review functions in a specialization. Ability to balance technical expertise with excellent communication and interpersonal skills for interaction with team and clients. A demonstrated ability to remain abreast of new and current design concepts and techniques. Potential to become a known industry expert in specialization. Must be able to attend client site surveys and/or client meetings 10% of the time. Ability to pass a criminal background check. Ability to pass a drug screen as per client requirement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; type and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl while on client site surveys. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is exposed to a noise level in the work environment that is usually quiet. During client site visits the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock and vibration.Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)