Position Description: At Nevada Gold Mines, our vision is to be the world’s most valued gold mining business by finding, developing and operating the best assets with the best people. Our Turquoise Ridge Operations is looking for a Senior Site Geotechnical Engineer to lead the geotechnical teams in charge of our open pits, underground mines, tailings dam and leach pads. As leader of the Site Geotechnical Team, the successful candidate will be results centric adding to our already dynamic, yet structured environment supporting our mining operations. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in underground ground support design and rock mechanics, site-based slope design and management, rock mass property assessment, and geotechnical instrumentation and should have practical experience working in both underground and surface mining operations.At Nevada Gold Mines we are committed to a safe work environment sending every person home safe and healthy every day and leaving a sustainable legacy on our host communities. We offer a generous benefits package which includes a competitive medical, dental, and vision plan with national provider networks, a 401k retirement plan with employer contribution, paid time off, company-sponsored medical clinics, company match share purchase program, and much more!If you want to provide input into sustainable mine plans and efficient operations by utilizing your geotechnical analytical and modeling skills, then this is the role for you. Working in a challenging, fast paced environment as part of a strong geotechnical team will provide you significant development and career opportunities.Responsibilities:
- Provide technical input to mine planning and design, to include data analysis of work performed by consultants or subordinates. Ensure that mine plans reflect recommended geotechnical designs and monitoring programs are in place.
- Apply engineering rock mechanics principals to the design of ground support system
- Develop and analyze numerical models to provide input into mine design and mine sequences
- Evaluate the rock mechanics of mining areas through the study of models, designs and processes in order to optimize ore extraction
- Utilize in-house ground control model to predict ground deformation and plan for future sustainable mine schedules
- Keep management informed of any areas of increased risk to the business and develop robust and peer-reviewed remediation plans when needed
- Ensure that site adheres to QA/QC, and design guidelines (standards) as well as best practices and new technology if applicable.
- Lead site hydrogeological efforts to ensure water is managed in an appropriate manner
- Manage the site geotechnical risk registrar and ensure remediation work is prioritized based on potential risk to the site
- Review and implement technological advances to rock mechanics in design, monitoring and support
- Liaison with regional and company geotechnical experts to conduct site reviews periodically and as needed
- Ensure that good communication is maintained between the site’s geotechnical engineers and other industry leaders in this field. Mentoring and training of geotechnical engineers, particularly for development of modeling and analysis skills is critical.
- Development of strategies for improving efficiencies and reducing operational mining costs.
- Cooperate and work effectively with team members as well as other departments to communicate ground control issues and provide solutions to mitigate risks
- 7 to 10 years’ experience in geotechnical engineering at an active mining operation is required
- Experience in managing geotechnical groups at underground and open pit operations preferred
- Familiarity with trends in mining process/associated outcomes from a business/technical view required
- In-depth knowledge of underground and open pit mining methods, technology, and best practices required
- Practical experience with numerical software and modeling utilized for stress and deformation analysis and for mine design at a skill level sufficient to train others preferred
- Practical experience in design of backfill and shotcrete systems and related delivery systems preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills, an ability to communicate effectively and clearly, in writing and verbally, with all levels of the organization required
- Team oriented with strong leadership skills and demonstrated commitment to safety and health, and environment excellence along with technical best practices required
- Ability to think strategically, demonstrate good judgment, strong organizational and planning skills required
- Ability and willingness to work effectively with people from diverse cultures required
- Ability to thrive in site work environments required
- Demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a range of stakeholders, including Technical Services and Operations.
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses benefits, and stock purchase plans where applicable
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- An Opportunity to transform Traditional Mining into the future of Digital Mining
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across Nevada Gold Mine locations
- Nevada Gold Mines is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer
Thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.