NV5 (NASDAQ: NVEE) provides engineering and consulting services to public and private sectors, delivering solutions through six business verticals: Testing, Inspection & Consulting, Infrastructure; Utility Services; Environmental Health Sciences; Buildings & Program Management and Geospatial Technology. With offices nationwide and abroad, NV5 helps clients plan, design, build, test, certify, and operate projects that improve the communities where we live and work.As engineers, architects, construction/program managers, environmental professionals and beyond, we play a significant role in shaping our communities through the services we provide. We are looking for passionate, driven individuals to join our team focused on Delivering Solutions and Improving Lives. NV5 is seeking a Senior Structural Engineer for the Forensic Department in our Hollywood, Florida office. This person will guide junior engineers, architects, and support staff throughout Florida. The Senior Structural Engineer will lead cases involving structural or building envelope defects, as well as other design and construction defects. This role is poised for growth in our department and training will be provided to you by our retiring Sr. Structural Engineer.
- Perform building inspections and gather information to evaluate alleged design or construction defects on high rise buildings.
- Perform some inspections on ascending buildings using a manlift or on a swing stage.
- Write expert reports and respond to other engineers’ reports.
- Participate in mediations, settlement agreements, arbitrations, and trials.
- Write repair protocols for remediation of construction defects.
- Prepare construction documents related to those defects or evaluate and respond to construction documents prepared by other engineers, on occasion.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a closely related Bachelor’s degree, e.g., a Bachelor’s degree in architectural engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with a concentration in structural engineering preferred; Bachelor’s degree in a related field must have a concentration in structural engineering
- Master’s degree or higher in structural engineering or a closely related technical engineering field (not a MBA or engineering management degree) preferred
- Advanced courses in structural analysis, including finite element analysis, a plus
- Advanced courses in concrete design, and structural steel design, masonry design, or timber design a plus
- Must be a licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Florida with no disciplinary record
- Additional certifications, e.g., S.E., S.I., or SECB, preferred
- Professional Engineer licensure in additional states a plus
- NCEES record a plus
- Must have a minimum of 15 years experience in the structural design and construction of buildings, building components and systems, etc.
- Experience with RISA 3D or similar structural analysis and design software a plus
- Experience in post-tensioned concrete design and construction a plus
- Experience in high-rise design and construction a plus
- Experience in building envelope design or evaluations, stucco investigations, and water intrusion investigations, a plus
- Experience related to the architectural, mechanical, plumbing and/or electrical design and construction of buildings a plus
- Must have excellent technical writing skills
- Experience in writing reports for attorneys and use in litigation preferred
- A record of published reports as the principle author is preferred
- Must have excellent verbal / presentation skills
- Deposition / trial experience preferred
- Must have an interest in forensic engineering
- Interest in providing technical guidance to other forensic engineers and technical staff, and mentoring junior engineers and technical staff
- Must be capable of occasionally climbing ladders or using manlifts to access building roofs or façades, or occasionally performing investigations from swing stages on high rise buildings
NV5 offers a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, PTO, 401(k) and professional development/advancement opportunities. NV5 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NV5 complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.