Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.Your OpportunityThe Geohazard and Geomorphology team at Stantec uses expert knowledge, principles and experience of Earth surface processes and landforms to help clients achieve their economic, environmental and safety goals by locating resources, recognizing and minimizing the impact of physical constraints, mitigating hazards, reducing risk and engineering solutions.The Geohazards and Geomorphology team at Stantec provides expertise in:
- Geomorphological mapping; building models of landforms, processes, hazards and risks and integrating models into engineering design, management and mitigation solutions
- Terrain assessments
- Landslide inventory mapping, probability of failure assessments, quantitative hazard, and risk analyses
- Field mapping and investigations of slope and river hazards
- Interpretation of air photograph, satellite and LiDAR imagery
Environmental Services is seeking a US Principal of Geohazards and Geomorphology to collaborate with internal business units and lead growth in this field internally and externally, recruit and maintain a high-functioning team of specialists, and deliver best in class solutions to Stantec clients.Your Key ResponsibilitiesYou will work closely with geotechnical engineering, pipeline integrity, mining, environment, survey, and GIS teams.Business Development & Client Management
- Help pursue and lead significant geohazards projects, particularly in Western US, with a long-term plan to grow nationally.
- Engage in client relationship building and maintenance to sustain and grow revenue for Environmental Services and Stantec overall.
- Lead the development and execution of the national, regional and client marketing strategy to enable optimum market penetration for the Geohazards practice.
- Create and maintain relationships across Stantec’s practices and geographies to promote cross-selling of services.
- Demonstrated understanding of how Geohazards affects our clients.
- Demonstrate technical excellence in a manner that is digestible to clients including at client functions and technical conferences. Established connections to Universities are a bonus.
- Learn and embody the technical and quality driven nature of our work.
- Provide mentorship, senior technical input, and quality review of Geohazards and Geotechnical projects.
- Provide exceptional project management and technical service on projects to our clients.
- Lead and contribute to geohazards and geotechnical projects through the various phases.
- Oversee and take responsibility for professional work including:
- Geomorphological assessments.
- Terrain mapping and terrain stability mapping.
- Landslide and landslide hazard assessments.
- Fluvial assessments both field and office based.
- Quantitative hazard and risk assessments.
- Maintain project schedules, budgets, quality, contract negotiations, client interactions and guide geotechnical staff to successful project completion.
- Drive Stantec’s Safer together culture and prioritize the health and safety of employees.
- Demonstrate a commitment to our code of business conduct and ethics policies.
- Use your skills, to build and maintain productive relationships across all stakeholder groups, including Stantec’s multiple key technical practice disciplines, regional business leaders and clients.
- Use your skills, knowledge and expertise to mentor and lead our highly capable and motivated team. Lead by example, encouraging innovation and providing opportunity.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Familiarity with the Terrain Classification System for BC (Howes and Kenk, 1997.)
- Familiarity with softcopy mapping (PurVIEW, DAT/EM Summit) preferred or strong background in air photograph interpretation.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS 10 (or higher) (requirement) and Global Mapper (preferred).
- Experience with other data sets such as LiDAR.
- Willingness to travel and participate in remote field work and ability to adapt to unpredictable field conditions.
- Physically fit and able to endure hiking in rugged terrain.
- Strong communications and writing skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- M.Sc. in physical geography, engineering geology, geotechnical engineering or related field with 15 years of work experience is preferred.
- Ph.D. in a relevant field is a bonus.
- Experience with field programs in Geomorphology and demonstrated ability to read and correctly interpret the geomorphological landscape.
- Demonstrated experience in geomorphological mapping and methods.
- Registered or qualified to register with a State Professional Association (PG or PE), or willing to acquire the qualifications in a timeline acceptable to Stantec.
Office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work, or combination of office and field. Ability to lift and move items and equipment up to 50 lbs.This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.Job: Civil EngineerPrimary Location: United States-Colorado-DenverJob Level: ManagerTravel: Yes, 25 % of the TimeSchedule: Full-timeReq ID: 2100001JStantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans