Mott MacDonald is a multi-disciplined engineering consultancy, with a significant presence in tunnels and underground structures throughout the United States and North America. Our project roles include design and planning roles as well as program, construction and risk management roles for some of North America’s largest infrastructure project. Because of our continued and sustained growth and success, we are now looking to appoint a senior project engineer and risk professional - tunnels to support our current and future infrastructure projects throughout North America based in either San Diego, CA or Los Angeles, CA.
This will be a versatile role, with the senior tunnel project engineer undertaking a wide variety of projects; including tunnels, microtunnels, horizontal directional drilling, braced excavations and other underground structures/projects. It is expected that the role will grow into a position that can develop a team to apply risk analysis to many civil engineering projects, with the support of other technical experts.
As a senior tunnel engineer and risk professional, your duties will include:
- Identification of risks and management of risk workshops and risk registers;
- Management of risk evaluation workshops;
- Communication and maintenance of risk mitigations;
- Production of design solutions, reports, specifications and drawings covering a range of projects from new builds, modifications, maintenance and refurbishment;
- Assessment of sub-surface conditions and development of design criteria;
- Developing engineering concepts, and articulation of the concepts to the team;
- Writing reports for submission to clients as well as assisting with preparation of proposals to clients;
- Leading and managing junior/graduate engineers supporting their development;
- Liaising with various clients, attending progress meetings and producing reports on progress; and
- Providing expert engineering input into design; and evaluation of built environment proposals.
Mott MacDonald's experience in tunneling dates back to the early 1900s. Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for North American tunneling industry with unprecedented success. We’re looking for an individual to join our team to continue this and invite applications from candidates with:
- Masters or Bachelors degree in civil engineering considered. Degree(s) should be in structural, geotechnical, or civil
- California state PE or SE
- Experience working with government and local agencies.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience with tunnels, underground structure design as engineer of record for projects that have been constructed.
- Experience in risk management of tunnel or underground structures projects.
- Experience with soil structure interaction and seismic soil structure interaction analysis is preferred.
- Mix of hydraulic structures and transport structure design experience preferred.
- Proven track record in tunnel design.
You will be a career minded individual with aspirations of working in the tunnel design field. Working in a team environment in Mott MacDonald’s San Diego office, you will need a positive attitude to promote the program, our organization, and our achievements.
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organization, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We value the diversity of our staff and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the chance to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.