Schnabel is an employee-owned, professional consulting firm that focuses on solving problems related to the earth and environment through specialization in dam, geotechnical, geostructural, and tunnel engineering. Schnabel’s high standards for quality, business ethics, and concern for the communities they live in and support, are a vital part of who they are and what they offer. Founded in 1956, Schnabel has experienced tremendous success and growth through its dedication to excellence in client service, high quality, and value-added solutions. Schnabel is an ENR Top 500 Design Firm and Top 10 Dams and Reservoirs Design Firm with 400 employees in 22 offices throughout the United States.Recognized by CE News as one of the Best Engineering Firms to Work for, Schnabel provides employees with a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, life and disability. Engagement in Schnabel’s wellness program offers incentives for employees to pursue a healthy lifestyle, and the firm rewards employees through its Employee Stock Ownership Plan.Job Description:Are you looking for interesting and meaningful work, a fun and flexible atmosphere, and opportunities to learn, grow, and excel? If so, then welcome to Schnabel! We approach problems with creativity and innovation. The Dallas, TX office is seeking a Senior Tunnel Engineer to support our growing business. We are looking for a motivated candidate with attention to detail, a passion to continue to develop as a professional, and a desire to be part of a strong team.Responsibilities
- Lead the planning, management and execution efforts of tunnel design and construction management projects
- Plan, manage and implement geotechnical investigation programs for tunnel projects
- Evaluate geotechnical exploration and testing results, interpret and characterize subsurface conditions, and prepare reports, technical memoranda, and Geotechnical Baseline Reports (GBRs)
- Perform conventional geotechnical and tunnel structural design analyses
- Develop design of tunnels, shafts, and other underground facilities including preparation of calculations and design reports
- Develop tunnel and shaft specifications, drawings, and other project contract documents
- Collaborate with multidiscipline and multi-location internal and external teams
- Mentor and train junior staff/project engineers
- Prepare cost proposals and manhour estimates for projects
- Support marketing and business development across the country
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil, Mining, Geological, Geotechnical, or Structural Engineering from an ABET accredited school of engineering (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Licensed Professional Engineer (California PE preferred) and ability to get licensed through reciprocity
- Minimum of 10 years tunnel engineering experience with significant practical experience on tunnel and underground construction projects
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated expertise in SEM/NATM design including field experience in tunnel excavation and ground support selection (preferred)
- Knowledge of soil and rock mechanics, rock mass classification systems, geotechnical and geostructural analysis methods, and techniques as applied to the design of underground structures
- Structural design experience of precast concrete segmental tunnel liners (preferred)
- Experience with design and construction of shafts and jacking/receiving pits, including development of earth and groundwater loads, assessment of support types, and development of support of excavation, initial ground support, and final liner systems
- Periodic travel for projects, conferences, meetings, and other responsibilities is required and anticipated to be 10 to 25%.
- Ability to work on active or potential construction sites including site work that may involve work in underground spaces, above slopes, and over rough terrain.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment screening.
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status is required. No visa sponsorship will be provided.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability