Summary This is a full-time entry-level position to provide assistance with project management and civil engineering duties within the Transportation Engineering Sub-practice area. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform advanced engineering calculations for transportation engineering design projects.
- Provide MicroStation and AutoCAD drafting in support of design projects.
- Coordinate with government agencies, client staff, and other professionals to obtain design information and approvals.
- Prepare and route project related correspondence and record keeping.
- Conduct periodic site visits to construction sites to monitor quality and progress of the work.
- Using advanced knowledge, write and edit construction specifications, planning documents and engineering reports.
- Assist with tabulating bid items and calculating construction bid quantities from plans and specifications. Estimate construction costs.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
QualificationsTo be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Education and/or ExperienceCandidates should possess a B.S. degree from an ABET accredited civil engineering or related program and no previous experience required. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, required.
- Successful certification as an Engineer Intern or Engineer In Training or the ability to receive the certification within 6 months of hire, required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge or an experience using design software such as AutoCAD/Civil 3D is highly desirable.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public. He/she must also have excellent writing skills and be able to communicate effectively with large and diverse groups.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Project software.
- Ability to prioritize special projects and daily workload to ensure that all work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus. Work EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)