SUMMARY/COMPANY INFOHaley & Aldrich, Inc. is committed to delivering the value our clients need from their capital, operations, and environmental projects. Our one-team approach allows us to draw from our 700 engineers, scientists, and constructors in 30 offices for creative collaboration and expert perspectives. Since our founding in 1957, we have one goal in all we do: deliver long-term value efficiently, no matter how straightforward or complex the challenge. In 2020, Haley & Aldrich acquired Hart Crowser, an engineering and environmental consultancy with extensive expertise in the Pacific Northwest and recognized for its cutting-edge performance-based seismic design methods. Visit our company website.Haley & Aldrich is growing, and we are currently seeking a motivated and accomplished self-starter and effective team player to serve as a Field Technician in our Field Services Group. This position entails travel to job sites and working outside of the office setting 95% of the time monitoring contractor's geotechnical and environmental-related activities during construction. This position will report out of our McLean, VA office.DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will:
- Perform routine field assignments with supervision such as 1.Soil and groundwater investigation and remediation, which includes soil logging, bedrock coring, sample collection and coordination with laboratories, and 2. Monitoring well installation, groundwater sampling vapor intrusion sampling, injection oversight.
- Construction monitoring of earthwork, piles, caissons, drilled-in piles, and slurry walls.
- The use of various geotechnical and environmental instrumentation and equipment.
- Preparation of detailed notes and taking photographs to document the procedures used and observations made during field explorations programs and/or construction monitoring for use by supervisory or project personnel.
- Preparation of daily/weekly field reports, including written reports with figures, photographs, and summary tables as required.
- Participation in team meetings.
- Adherence to Site Specific Health and Safety Plans prepared for each project site, including participation in site safety briefings and audits by both contractors and Haley & Aldrich.
- Coordinating scheduling with contractors and subcontractors.
- Coordinating with internal Haley & Aldrich team members on a daily basis.
- Experience observing contractor activities relative to conformance with work plans and contract drawings, particularly for subsurface explorations and geotechnical construction.
- Basic survey skills (optical or total station)
- Familiarity with set-up and use of engineering seismographs
- Familiarity with set up and use of GPS devices
- Knowledge of Mid-Atlantic Geology
- Current OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER training
- Nuclear Density Gauge Training and Certification
- 10-hour OSHA Construction training
- WACEL Certificates in Soil and Concrete
- An Associate's or Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field is preferred
- 0-5 years of related field experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic Microsoft Excel and Word capabilities
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. unassistedAbility to travel to local job sites and on temporary out of town assignments as needed
About Haley & AldrichHaley & Aldrich is a nation-wide community, richly connected by networks of extraordinary people who seek to make the world a better place. We believe in creating potential through our people. If you are looking for an exciting opportunity where you can collaborate, fully engage, learn and put your expertise to work to handle important challenges, we want to talk with you! We offer excellent career growth, a highly competitive total compensation plan and a solid benefits package that includes; health, dental, vision; Short-Term/Long-Term Disability; 401K with match; generous vacation plan and paid time off; tuition reimbursement; long-term care and more. Interested candidates should apply online on our Careers page.Haley & Aldrich is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, age, disability, veteran or any other legally protected status.