SUMMARY/COMPANY INFOHaley & Aldrich, Inc. is committed to delivering the value our clients need from their capital, operations, and environmental projects. Our one-team approach allows us to draw from our 700 engineers, scientists, and constructors in 30 offices for creative collaboration and expert perspectives. Since our founding in 1957, we have one goal in all we do: deliver long-term value efficiently, no matter how straightforward or complex the challenge. In 2020, Haley & Aldrich acquired Hart Crowser, an engineering and environmental consultancy with extensive expertise in the Pacific Northwest and recognized for its cutting-edge performance-based seismic design methods. Visit our company website.The Building & Infrastructure Business Unit at Haley & Aldrich is growing we are currently seeking an entry level Civil/Geotechnical Engineer to work in a technical support role with highly skilled professionals on diverse project teams in a dynamic environment. We offer new engineers the opportunity to work on challenging geotechnical and environmental services projects for a wide range of clients. This position entails travel to job sites and working outside of the office setting some of the time conducting site and subsurface characterization for environmental and geotechnical projects and/or monitoring contractor's geotechnical and environmental-related activities during construction. This position will be located in the Hartford, CT office.DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will:
- Provide construction monitoring/on-site engineering observation for both geotechnical and environmental projects.
- Perform site reconnaissance to observe existing conditions, assess site access for subsurface explorations, and identify important site features.
- Monitor subsurface exploration activities that include the use of test boring and geoprobe rigs, and machine excavated test pits to gather soil and bedrock samples.
- Conduct field investigations, including soil and groundwater sampling in accordance with applicable ASTM standards and other industry standard guidelines.
- Conduct geotechnical and environmental engineering analyses.
- Compile, reduce, analyze, manage, and report field, instrumentation, geological, and/or environmental data, using spreadsheets and other tools.
- Summarize details, observations, technical procedures and/or project assignment requirements for supervisory or project personnel.
- Use of various geotechnical and environmental instrumentation and testing equipment in the field and laboratory.
- Assist Senior Staff in developing interpretations, conclusions and/or recommendations.
- Support preparation of written reports, proposals, cost estimates, and other client deliverables, including Phase I and Phase II ESAs.
- Adhere to Site Specific Health and Safety Plans prepared for each project site. As applicable, participate in site safety briefings and audits by both contractors and Haley & Aldrich.
- B.S. degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering
- Master’s degree in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering is a plus
- 0 to 3 years of related civil engineering experience
- Familiarity with geology is a plus
- Must have strong written, verbal and telephone communication skills, particularly the ability to convey observations and produce accurate and concise field notes, logs, data sheets and reports on daily activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer Skills – Strong computer literacy skills including proficiency in all MS Office software
- Ability and interest in obtaining professional engineering registration; has or applies for initial professional certification in their core discipline (EIT or FE)
- Ability to travel to temporary assignments
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. unassisted
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Must have a reliable form of transportation to travel to job sites and the office
- Must comply with the Guiding Principles and Code of Behavior articulated in our Company Charter
- Must comply with company and client Health & Safety protocols
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER training, OSHA 10-hour Construction training, and/or Nuclear Density Gauge Training certifications preferred
About Haley & AldrichHaley & Aldrich is a nation-wide community, richly connected by networks of extraordinary people who seek to make the world a better place. We believe in creating potential through our people. If you are looking for an exciting opportunity where you can collaborate, fully engage, learn and put your expertise to work to handle important challenges, we want to talk with you! We offer excellent career growth, a highly competitive total compensation plan and a solid benefits package that includes; health, dental, vision; Short-Term/Long-Term Disability; 401K with match; generous vacation plan and paid time off; tuition reimbursement; long-term care and more. Interested candidates should apply online on our Careers page.Haley & Aldrich is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, age, disability, veteran or any other legally protected status.