We believe real value is powered by the unique skills and experiences of our professionals. The interchange of ideas from a diverse group of people gives our teams an expanded perspective and the ability to find better solutions for our clients. Req Id : 25833 Job Title : Engineering Manager- Charleston, SC Business Unit Sector : COR-WATER-WATER AMERICAS Work Location : RGCHARLES Opportunity Type : Staff Relocation eligible : No Full time/Part time : Full-Time Contract Hire Only for this Project : No Job SummaryBlack and Veatch is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager for our Charleston, SC office located in downtown Charleston. The professional will join our Charleston office where they will integrate into a growing team of professionals supporting clients on the coast and throughout the state. The Engineering Manager is responsible for the technical planning and design of water distribution, water/wastewater treatment, and wastewater collection projects. This person will assume leadership responsibilities such as safety, quality, scope, budget and scheduling projects; guiding engineering staff and identifying developmental growth opportunities; and developing strong relationships with municipal utilities, contractors, and other consultants. Leadership position focusing on supporting our growing work in Charleston and along the coast working collaboratively with the East Region team by developing new and existing clients, recruiting new professionals, retaining and rewarding the top professionals in the markets we serve, mentoring and coaching existing professionals, and achieving these objectives while providing a challenging and exciting work place for our employees to innovate, grow and thrive.Key ResponsibilitiesEngineering Standards:
- Provides guidance and direction on department design guides, standards, systems, applicable engineering codes and Black and Veatch policies
- Assists in developing, maintaining and updating engineering standards
- Provides technical guidance to others regarding projects and disciplines
- Independently applies knowledge and complies with Black and Veatch quality program relative to assigned tasks
- May be responsible for ensuring compliance with Black and Veatch quality program
- Provides related guidance and direction to others
- Supports continuous improvement and change management efforts
- Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects
- Performs complex research and develops recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection
- Oversees collection, assimilation, and management of data for engineering work
- Prepares complex engineering calculations following standard methods and principles
- Manages assigned budget, schedule, and quality requirements
- Independently applies advanced engineering techniques and analysis problems and methods
- Reviews lower level engineering work or assignments
- Is responsible for one or more of the following: leading larger production teams; coordinating multiple discipline activity; and serving as the responsible charge for a project
- Actively coordinates with all other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects
- Responsible for assisting with identification of key client interests and drivers on moderately complex projects and may determine the key clients in some instances
- Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work on moderately complex projects
- May offer other services to the clients
- Typically provides support to business development or pursuit activities
Knowledge Sharing, Innovation and Technology:
- Serves as a technical specialist and has knowledge and skill set to provide consultation and guidance to project teams in a particular practice area
- Typically supports multiple projects on the complex technical challenges
- Actively fosters knowledge management and provides mentoring
- Develops and applies advanced engineering concepts and approaches to unique engineering problems
People Management - (supervision, career development, training, mentoring):
- Typically assists with performance management process, mentoring, recognition, and any corrective actions required
- May participate in career planning, and learning and development
- Resource Management - (budgets, tools, processes, project support):
- Implements resource management strategy
- Manages engineering resources for small groups of a single discipline
- Administrative responsibilities may include office administration
- Ensures policies, procedures, and processes are effectively implemented and communicated for workgroup
- Ensures adherence to corporate and division programs
- May approve timesheets and expense reports
Management ResponsibilitiesPreferred Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field plus seven years’ relevant experience in the water/wastewater industry is required; or, in the alternative, Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field plus ten years’ relevant experience in the water/wastewater industry is required.
- Registration as a Professional Engineering (P.E.) in South Carolina.
- Experience with water distribution, water/wastewater treatment, stormwater, sewer pipeline and manhole assessments using technical standards.
- Local travel to client sites.
- Experience with: GIS, CAD, databases, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Project.
Minimum QualificationsRequires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.CertificationsMost positions - depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division - will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registrationWork Environment/Physical DemandsTypical office environment, typical construction site environment, extreme weather conditions, high noise level, safety hazards (electrical currents, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure chemicals), atmospheric conditions (fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation).CompetenciesCollaboratesCommunicates effectivelyCourageDirects workInstills trustInterpersonal savvyOrganizational savvyCustomer focusDecision qualitySalary PlanENG: EngineeringJob Grade131Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status or other status protected by law. Black & Veatch is committed to being an employer of choice by creating a valuable work experience that keeps our people engaged, productive, safe and healthy. We offer professionals an array of health and welfare benefits that vary based on their geographic region and employment status. This may include health, life accident and disability insurances, paid time off, financial programs and more. By valuing diverse voices and perspectives, we cultivate an authentically inclusive environment for professionals and are able to provide innovative and effective solutions for clients.
Job Segment: Engineer, Construction, Electrical, CAD, Drafting, Engineering