Mott MacDonald’s transportation and infrastructure teams work on some of the biggest and most challenging projects across the US. We’ve completed and are currently involved in a whole host of amazing solutions to complex projects; incorporating our values of sustainability and improving communities.
Based from our New York, NY office, the tunnel engineer will provide support on underground work projects. You will be part of a team that is responsible for preparation of conceptual, preliminary, and final design plans, specifications, and estimates.
This will be a versatile role, with the tunnel engineer undertaking a cross-section of projects; including: tunnels, microtunnels and other underground structures/projects.
In addition to the overarching responsibility, your day to day will include:
- Planning and design of tunnel projects including initial and final supports, excavation support systems, foundations, as well as other underground structures predominately for transit, highway and water projects
- Acts as part of a team of professionals on multiple projects. Ability to identify and solve design and construction challenges is required
- Interacts with team members and assists in the coordination of work among engineers and detailers
- Client communications
- Work with Mott MacDonald’s larger structures practice regionally and globally on technical excellence and resource planning
Mott MacDonald's experience in transportation dates back to the early 1900s. Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for the North American region with unprecedented success. We’re looking for a tunnel engineer to join our team to continue this and invite applications from candidates with:
- Master’s in civil engineering preferred, but BS in civil engineering or equivalent required. Degree(s) should be structural in geotechnical, or civil engineering
- Professional engineer (PE) license or ability to obtain within six months of joining
- 5+ years of experience in the design and/or design management of tunnels
- Proven track record in tunnel design
- Experience communicating with clients with excellent communication and written skills
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organization, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We value the diversity of our staff and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the chance to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.