WHO WE ARE Michael Baker International is a leading provider of architectural, engineering and consulting services, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker’s more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit https://mbakerintl.com/ CIVIL & ENVIRONMENTAL PRACTICE Michael Baker International’s civil engineering professionals manage and staff active projects in over 40 countries on five continents. Services are provided for a broad range of projects and capabilities, including highways, airports, bridges, rail and transit systems, government and commercial facilities, water and wastewater infrastructure, oil and gas infrastructure, and commercial/urban development. Our fields of expertise span all areas of civil engineering and include an extensive variety of specialty disciplines, such as environmental compliance and restoration, coastal engineering, urban development, and mining. DESCRIPTION Michael Baker International has a unique opportunity for qualified Geotechnical Engineer candidates with 4 or more years of geotechnical engineering experience to join the Geotechnical Division located in our Moon Township, PA. location. The successful candidate will work in applying geotechnical engineering techniques, procedures and principles on a variety of civil and geotechnical engineering projects while supporting our project team and client base that we service on a local, national, and international basis. Typically, our projects involve supporting our clients within the Transportation, Commercial Development, Industrial and Energy market sectors. A willingness and ability to travel within the United States and internationally is needed. A Geotechnical Engineer at Michael Baker will have the opportunity to work on a variety of civil and geotechnical engineering projects including Water (dams, levees and other water retention structures), Transportation (aviation, highway, bridge, roadway and rail), Commercial Development, Industrial and Municipal Solid Waste, Oil and Gas Pipeline as well as Coal Combustion Residuals (CCRs) disposal facility closure and remediation. The duties of a Geotechnical Engineer will consist of the following:
- Prepares geotechnical field exploration and laboratory testing programs;
- Perform analyses for design of shallow and deep foundations, earth retaining structures, and slope stabilization systems.
- Prepares geotechnical reports detailing subsurface investigations, foundation recommendations, construction monitoring and quality assurance/control phases of work and other field / laboratory studies;
- Occasionally monitor geotechnical drilling and perform site visits, report findings to more experienced Engineers and/or Project Managers.
- Prepare moderately complex studies, construction level drawings and specifications, drawings, maps, reports and supporting documentation such as those needed for highways, structures, landfills, dams and other large-scale facilities;
- Communicates with clients regarding project issues, holds and attends meetings;
- Assists with defining scope of work and man-hour requirements.
- Assists Project Managers and more experienced Engineers in ensuring that task and project schedules and budgets are met;
- Coordinates with technicians to ensure timely and accurate completion of field activities and accurate document or drawing preparation.
- Assist with proposal production and marketing/business development initiatives;
- Responsible for document preparation for regulatory agencies to obtain required permits; and
- Responsible for maintaining technical knowledge through completion of various training initiatives.
- BS degree in Civil Engineering with Masters degree preferred.
- Minimum 4-6 years of experience in Geotechnical design and construction.
- Practical experience in the field.
- Ideal candidates will possess PE License in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (or other states with ability to obtain reciprocity within 6 months).
- Experience working independently and within project teams.
- Excellent technical writing and public/client presentation capabilities.
- Sound problem-solving and communication skills.
- Abilities to work in a dynamic environment and conduct multi-tasking efforts are essential.
- Proficiency with geotechnical software a plus.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, Access) proficiency is required and experience with Primavera scheduling software is desired.
- Masters of Science Degree in Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology.
- 4+ years of experience in Transportation design and construction.
MICHAEL BAKER INTERNATIONAL EEO STATEMENTMichael Baker International is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Michael Baker International provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment. Michael Baker International maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply for any open position for which they feel they are qualified and all will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status or any other legally protected status. EEO is the Law. Applicants to and employees of Michael Baker International are protected under Federal law from discrimination.