Each day gives us an opportunity to leave our mark on the world. Creating a Lasting Positive Impact through engineering, surveying, and environmental expertise is the primary focus of Draper Aden Associates. We are more than just a set of plans; we are a way to achieve.
Position SummaryThe primary responsibility of the Geotechnical Engineering Department Manager is to lead, manage, and promote the growth of the Geotechnical Engineering Department within the Geotechnical and Construction Division. You will be managing an experienced team that performs geotechnical engineering design for support of commercial, health, educational, institutional, residential, and industrial projects. The position requires managing an expanding staff of geotechnical engineers and geologists, and will require assisting with proposal and report writing, department operations, and staff development. The position reports to the Geotechnical and Construction Services Division Manager and requires collaboration with Marketing and Business Development, Information Technology, Human Resources, and Finance and Accounting.Essential Responsibilities
- Serve as a role model for the Geotechnical Engineering Department in living the Firm’s values.
- Develop annual operations budget for the Geotechnical Engineering Department.
- Successfully manage the department’s financial goals.
- Oversee the operations of the Geotechnical Engineering Department including work quality, personnel, equipment, and budget management.
- Provide technical guidance to staff on non-routine and complex design projects.
- Review geotechnical engineering proposals and reports for technical accuracy and quality.
- Collaborate with other departments within the Geotechnical and Construction Services Division as well as other Divisions to support the Division’s and Firm’s strategic business and growth plans.
- Oversee development of and implementation of company policies and procedures regarding incentives, reviews, hiring, termination, professional development, and maintaining staff morale.
- Assist Human Resources with recruiting staff for hiring and retention.
- Adhere to company safety polices along with use of supplied personal protective equipment.
- Travel to other Firm’s offices, client offices, and project sites. Occasional overnight travel may be required.
- Participate in business development to support the Geotechnical Engineering Department, Geotechnical and Construction Services Division and Firm by joining and being active in relevant industry associations, attending trade shows, performing potential client calls and meetings and other duties as required to grow the Geotechnical Engineering Department.
- Create and maintain working relationships with clients and potential clients to obtain new work by providing superior service to external and internal clients.
- Develop technical scope and cost estimates for proposals in accordance with Firm’s business strategy and pricing guidelines to ensure budgeted profitability including the calculation/estimation of time schedules.
- Work with our Marketing and Business Development Division as required to develop Request for Proposal responses, setting pricing, and attend interviews.
- Provide career guidance and development of Geotechnical Engineering Department staff.
- Develop and implement the Firm’s training programs for Geotechnical Engineering Department staff.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to promote employee retention and recognition programs for Geotechnical Engineering staff.
Preferred Training, Experience, Education and/or Skills
- Minimum 20 years of proven experience in geotechnical engineering.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering required.
- Master’s degree in civil engineering (geotechnical) preferred.
- Professional Engineering License in Virginia or ability to obtain through comity within 6 months of hire.
- Experience in earth dams desirable.
- Experience in soil and concrete laboratory testing desirable.
- Excellent project management and client service skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong analytical and judgement capabilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A flexible working style and an ability to work independently and in teams.
- Valid Driver's License.
Draper Aden Associates promotes a drug/alcohol free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing. Draper Aden Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer who looks forward to helping people build long-term successful careers within our organization. Draper Aden Associates participates in E-Verify. Click here for more information regarding our participation; click here for more information regarding your rights to work.