Job SummaryBlack & Veatch has an exciting opportunity for an Engineering Manager within its Heavy Civil, Tunneling Practice based in Houston, Texas. Our Heavy Civil team has experienced significant growth in the Texas linear infrastructure and tunneling markets that address our Clients toughest water challenges related to providing water supply resiliency for a growing population, flood relief from large storms, increasing wastewater conveyance capacity, and addressing sanitary sewer overflow occurrences. We are looking for a highly motivated professional who combines expertise in tunneling and conveyance of water/wastewater/storm water with a proven track record of leading projects and supporting regional business development. This individual will be an accomplished engineering manager who is comfortable with continuing to grow our regional team and will contribute to the delivery of major tunnel and infrastructure systems programs and projects. As an employee-owned, global leader in building critical infrastructure in the energy, water, telecommunications and government services markets, Black & Veatch has a long-standing reputation for providing world-class service to our clients.Key Responsibilities
- Provide engineering management of Black & Veatch linear/tunnel water and wastewater infrastructure in Houston, San Antonio, and Austin areas.
- Comfortable and conversant in the full range of engineering disciplines required to support linear work, including pipelines, tunnels, hydraulic structures, pump stations, and similar.
- Recognized as a Tunnel Engineering Manager with a strong focus on quality, innovation, and the value we provide to our clients.
- Acts in the capacity of an Engineering Manager and/or key discipline lead during the execution phase of a project or in support of technical approach and scope, schedule, and budget during the proposal phase of a project.
- In conjunction with Heavy Civil leadership, support business development / marketing strategy for this market
- Support marketing and business development activities related to linear infrastructure and tunneling
- Manage execution of tunneling projects
- Perform technical work on tunnel projects
- Mentor junior and mid-level engineers
Management ResponsibilitiesPreferred Qualifications
- 10+ years of tunneling experience
- Experience leading multi-discipline project teams and executing tunneling projects
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Texas or be in active pursuit of registration
- Understanding and appreciation for local and regional geology and geotechnical conditions including but not limited to high ground water, stiff fissured clays, faulting, wells, and sands.
- Prefer experience with soft ground tunneling involving EPBM, slurry shield, and/or mixi-shield in urban environments.
- May require up to 25% travel
Minimum QualificationsRequires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 8 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.CertificationsMost positions - depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division - will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registrationWork Environment/Physical DemandsCompetenciesCollaboratesCommunicates effectivelyCourageDirects workInstills trustInterpersonal savvyOrganizational savvyCustomer focusDecision qualitySalary PlanENG: EngineeringJob Grade131
Job Segment: Hydraulics, Architecture, Engineer, Geology, Water Treatment, Engineering