A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work. For more than 70 years, we have helped bring to life groundbreaking projects across the globe. We are truly global, and our +15,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion. We have over 600 staff working in Ireland based in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick. Our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways - engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. We have built a reputation for unrivalled local expertise and knowledge. Geotechnical Engineer Arup’s Ground Engineering team in Ireland includes geotechnical engineers, engineering geologists, hydrogeologists, geoenvironmental experts, and GIS specialists, supported by our global expertise across all disciplines. We provide innovative ground engineering solutions for all types of projects and clients, both within Ireland and internationally, adding value through technical excellence, creative thinking, and understanding of our client’s long-term objectives. About the roleAs a geotechnical engineer, you will be responsible for undertaking the geotechnical design for projects across a range of sectors both in Ireland and overseas. You will be responsible for delivery of projects within budget and timeframes, liaising with multidisciplinary teams and clients, and for the coordination and direction of junior staff. You will have strong technical skills in geotechnical design, construction, and investigations. The role also offers opportunities for project management of both geotechnical and multidisciplinary projects. As part of the Ground Engineering team you will play a role in the development of junior colleagues, and promoting our culture of technical excellence across the team. The role will be in the Dublin or Cork office Minimum Qualifications
- Degree in Civil, Geotechnical or Structural Engineering. A post-graduate qualification in Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Mechanics, or equivalent is an advantage.
- Ideally will have or be working towards Chartered status of a professional engineering organisation.
- Several years of experience in a technical role in geotechnical design and/or construction.
- Demonstrated strong technical understanding of the design of deep excavations, deep and shallow foundations, earthworks, slope stability, and soft ground solutions.
- Experience of planning, managing, supervising and interpreting geotechnical investigations.
- Good planning, organisational and time management skills. Ability to maintain personal effectiveness particularly when working across several projects.
- Ability to communicate with people at all levels in both technical and non-technical environments.
- Effective written communication and report writing skills.
- Experience and ability in 3D modelling, scripting, numerical analysis or GIS would be an advantage.
- Understanding of contaminated land/waste issues would be an advantage.
- Flexibility to travel, and full drivers licence an advantage.
What to expect at Arup We offer a multicultural and informal international working environment where you can develop professionally by being part of a team of professionals who enjoy what they do:
- Be part of a company with a strong corporate culture committed to its values and aims: quality of work, holistic approach, humane organization, straight and honorable dealings, social usefulness and reasonable prosperity
- Short, long or educational assignments at Arup’s offices and projects anywhere in the world
- Continuous training and professional development that will allow you to adapt to the growing needs of our clients being in the midst of the digital transformation
- Employees at Arup are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme, dependent on the firm’s financial performance. Competitive performance based salary growth
- We offer a flexible Friday scheme. We are open to candidates seeking a more flexible working week including flexible start/finish times, planned working from home and offer the ability to purchase additional leave.
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a great place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact. Shape your time with usAt Arup, you’ll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You’ll have access to a range of flexible working options – whether you’re a parent, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role. In light of the current coronavirus (COVID) we are continuously and frequently reviewing our recruitment and onboarding processes. The health and safety of our candidates, employees, and community is our top priority. We will be conducting any interviews via video conference and other digital collaboration tools during this time. As a firm, we will continuously adapt our approach in line with any government guidelines and regulations as this situation develops.