Job DescriptionIf your passion lies working on exciting new projects, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that cares about you, your safety and your success, consider Terracon and apply today!
Now is your time to start a rewarding career in the Construction Industry with Mayes Testing Engineers, Inc, a Terracon Company!
Mayes Testing Engineers, Inc, a Terracon Company, one of the largest and best-know providers in construction quality assurance services in the Pacific Northwest is currently seeking Entry Level Construction Inspectors to join our team in Lynnwood, WA. As a Construction Inspector you will learn to perform daily inspection of construction projects monitoring quality and adherence to building code requirements, construction drawings and project specifications. Inspections may cross multiple inspection disciplines within a specified area of expertise including structural steel, concrete, masonry, asphalt, fireproofing, etc. Inspection includes visual/physical and field testing to verify conformance with the plans and specifications.
Essential Role and Responsibilities:
- Performs testing, observation, and inspection as directed in accordance with training and the specified procedures.
- Read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Provides clear documentation of findings and results.
- Performs basic analysis of data to verify accuracy before communication and submittal to the Project Manager.
- Communicates information to Project Manager and other personnel as directed by the Project Manager.
- Draft inspection reports for review by senior inspector and/or Project Managers.
- May assist more senior inspectors on projects.
- Maintains equipment and calibration.
- Follows safety rules and practices and other safety requirements for all projects. Performs pre-task planning prior to executing work. Report any safety issues or concerns to management.
- Be responsible for maintaining quality standards on all projects.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history.
- Associates degree in Civil Engineering Technology or Construction Engineering Technology.
- 1 year experience in construction.
- Experience as an engineering technician or other applicable experience.
ACI certification in one or more of the following areas:
- Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I
- Concrete Strength Testing Technician
- Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation.
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
At least one or more certifications in the following areas:
- NICET Level II certification in Construction Materials Testing (Asphalt, Concrete, Soils).
- NICET Level II certification in Geotechnical (Construction, Laboratory, Exploration, Generalist)
- WABO/ICC certification (Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding).
- American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) Level II certification (Visual Testing (VT), Magnetic Particle Testing (MT), Dye Penetrant Testing (PT), Radiographic Testing (RT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT)).
- Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
Work Environment & Physical Requirements:
- The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those the employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Position typically works outside in field locations in varying weather conditions, hearing heavy operating equipment, in operating facilities, and adjacent to traffic ways. May encounter need to work at heights on fixed & portable ladders, work in confined/tight areas, exposure to hostile flora and fauna, and noise level will typically be moderate.
- Work requires the use personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to hard hats, safety-toe boots, safety glasses, hearing protection equipment, respiratory protection, and appropriate clothing.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to regularly stand, walk, stoop, or kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to manipulate, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk and hearing. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds (e.g. lifting and operating testing equipment, obtaining and carrying material samples). Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- May be subject to one or more of the following: Hazmat and respiratory medical monitoring.
- May require overnight travel in support of projects in varying locations.
Terracon’s Safety Response to COVID-19Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!About TerraconTerracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.EEO StatementTerracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.