See Terracon’s Safety Response to Covid-19 belowJob DescriptionAre you looking to expand your career in the Special Inspection field? If so, Terracon has an opportunity for you!
Terracon is growing and hiring several Geotechnical Construction Special Inspectors for our Seattle, WA location. This mid-level role will support the growth of our geotechnical special inspection on construction projects and is an exciting opportunity for inspectors to further their inspection career and obtain additional, high level certifications. We prefer candidates with inspection experience, however, we are willing to train those that have the right background and aptitude.
The duties of a Geotechnical Construction Site Inspector include:
- Read, review, interpret project documents:
- Project plans
- Geotechnical Report
- Project specifications
- Standard specifications
- Shop drawings
- Boring, CPT and test pit logs
- Laboratory test results
- Inspect, observe, and document construction of foundations, retaining walls and other geotechnical project elements:
- Deep foundations – Driven Piles, drilled shafts, etc.
- Specialty foundations – Micropiles, augercast piling, screw-in anchors
- Ground Improvements – aggregate piers, stone columns, wick drains, lightweight fill
- Shoring – soldier pile/tiebacks, soil nails, temporary slopes
- Retaining Walls – MSE, soldier pile, soil nail, gravity block, concrete cantilever
- Tiebacks and soil nails, vertical elements
- Dewatering system construction and operation
- Inspect, observe, document construction of geotechnical project elements:
- Proofrolling of subgrades
- Subgrade stabilizations – overexcavation/replacement, reconstruction with geosynthetic
- Shallow foundation soil bearing inspections
- Field Density Testing of fill soils with nuclear density gauge (solid grasp of the relationship between soil density and moisture content for Proctor tests).
- Subsurface Exploration
- Assisting with utility locates and field marking of test pits and soil boring locations
- Reading and recording geotechnical instrumentation such as piezometers, slope inclinometers, GPS device, flow meters
- Assisting with onsite infiltration testing
- Additional Potential Duties:
- Field logging of soil data during subsurface exploration
- Assistance with data entry of subsurface exploration data
- Assistance with lab identification of soil characteristics
- Field resistivity testing
- Field testing of concrete, grout and asphalt
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 6 months experience
- Experience with laptop computer use and Microsoft Word and Excel
- Obtain ACI certification within 90 days of hire
- Obtain Certified in radiation safety and Nuclear Density Gauge operation within 6 months of hire preferred
- Successful completion of related internal safety certifications.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable violation history
- Certifications in one or more of the following areas:
- NICET Level II certification in Construction Materials Testing in one or more of the following categories: Asphalt, Concrete, Soils.
- NICET Level II certification in Geotechnical in one or more of the following categories: Construction, Laboratory, Exploration, Generalist
- ICC certification in one or more of the following categories: Reinforced Concrete, Spray-applied Fireproofing, Structural Masonry, Prestressed/Post-Tensioned Concrete, Structural Steel – Bolting, Structural Steel – Welding.
- Other national, regional, state, and local Materials related certifications requiring experience and written examination will also be considered if deemed appropriate by the Terracon Department Manager.
Terracon’s Safety Response to COVID-19Committed to Our Employee Safety!
Terracon is passionate about your safety before, during, and after the COVID-19 pandemic. As Terracon continues to move forward and grow through this time, we are continuing to take every precaution to ensure the safety of our employee-owners. If you are as committed to your success as we are committed to your safety, then Terracon is the company for you!
Our goal has not changed. For Terracon, our guiding principle has been and will continue to be the safety of our employee-owners. It’s that simple. We want our employees to be able to work safely in every situation and go home safely each night. As we continue our vision of being “Best at People,” here are some of the things Terracon is doing to safeguard every employee-owner:
- On-going communication with ALL employee-owners on a dedicated COVID Response page, and a portal for their families to have access to resources as well
- Requiring specific COVID-19 Pre-Task Safety Planning Protocols for all tasks and projects
- Empowering employees to speak up and say “no” to working in unsafe conditions
- Providing an additional 40 hours of sick leave to anyone impacted by COVID-19, including those impacted by daycare and school closures
- Offering voluntary reduced work schedule for anyone needing extra time to care for others
- Load leveling work assignments across regions to maintain high productivity and chargeability
- Ensuring proper PPE and sanitation on all project sites by providing field employee-owners with mobile hand washing stations and supplies, masks, and sanitizing kits
- Utilizing technology for more remote work opportunities and innovation using everything from video conferencing to drones
- Following all CDC guidelines including social distancing on job sites, in offices, and in our labs
- Implementing a stand-by leave program to ensure our employees continue service and health insurance benefits during regional work shortages
If your passion lies in working with a company that truly cares for your safety, and if you’re interested in belonging to a 100% employee-owned organization that will help you grow and quickly progress in your career, consider Terracon and apply today!About TerraconTerracon is a 100 percent employee-owned consulting engineering firm providing quality services to clients. Since 1965, Terracon has evolved into a successful multi-discipline firm specializing in environmental, facilities, geotechnical, and materials services. Terracon currently has more than 5,000 employees in more than 150 offices with services available in all 50 states. Terracon’s growth is due to valued employees exceeding expectations in client service and growing their careers with new and exciting opportunities in the marketplace.
Terracon offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid holidays.EEO StatementTerracon is an EEO employer. We encourage qualified minority, female, veteran and disabled candidates to apply and be considered for open positions. We do not discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender, disability, age, or military status.