KGS Group is seeking a Geotechnical Modelling Engineer to join our well established Geotechnical Department in Winnipeg, MB.
Over the past 30 years, KGS Group has grown to be the largest employee-owned engineering consulting firms based in Manitoba. We’re multi-disciplinary and have led significant public and private projects across Canada and internationally. With approximately 270 local engineers, scientists and support staff, we offer numerous resources to collaborate, learn and grow. The Geotechnical Group in particular numbers approximately 35, providing a significant support network with other intelligent, motivated staff. We work together, creating innovative solutions for our clients in a friendly, collaborative work environment. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects all throughout Canada.
The Geotechnical Modelling Engineer will have the ability to develop effective, attractive engineering design solutions for unique situations in support of the Geotechnical group. You will also support the Civil-Structure and Hydrotechnical groups. This position offers significant opportunity for professional growth including but not limited to managing multi-disciplinary projects, client interaction and business development, and much more!
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Work in a multi-disciplinary environment with other engineers to achieve overall project objectives and performing design calculations as required.
- Conduct numerical analysis using programs such as FLAC, Abacus, Plaxis, SEEP/W and SLOPE/W.
- Organize and conduct field exploration and testing programs; and perform site characterizations.
- Assess subsurface conditions, including soil and rock properties and geomechanical conditions, including review and interpretation of field maps, field logs, test data, laboratory test data and other field documentation. Develop design parameters for use in technical analyses.
- Select criteria for planning, design, and construction of flood protection dykes, dams, tunnels, foundations, slopes, and earth-retaining structures.
- Participate in dam safety inspections and reviews
- Develop familiarity with CDA guidelines, technical design standards, and industry standards and guidelines.
- Prepare technical reports including geotechnical data reports, geotechnical baseline reports, field reports, technical memoranda, computation packages, feasibility reports, design and evaluation reports, construction drawings, and specifications.
- Support development of design drawings and specifications projects.
- Provide field engineering oversight for projects during construction.
- Construction QA/QC and engineering services during construction.
- Participate in professional development and training activities.
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company guidelines for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Bachelors of Science in Civil or Geological Engineering
- Post-graduate degree M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. in Geomechanics/Rock Mechanics/Structural
- Current registration or eligibility to register as a P.Eng. in Manitoba
- Minimum five years of experience in geotechnical engineering in the civil and infrastructure industry
- Proficient in two- and three-dimensional Numerical modelling with finite element or finite difference software programs (preferably Flac, Abacus or Plaxis) for static and dynamic analyses of hydro/tailings dams and soil-structure interactions
- Proficient in seepage, stability and liquefaction analysis for various slopes and dams
- Knowledge of fundamental requirements of geotechnical engineering and the basic requirements of other engineering fields
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to identify problems and implement or recommend solutions
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, innovation, and commitment to technical excellence
- Demonstrated abilities in effective time management and prioritization, attention to detail, and working effectively in an environment requiring prioritization of several assignments simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and demonstrate accountability to working independently as well as part of a team
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; strong report writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to use tact, judgment, and discretion while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to perform assigned duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures
- Demonstrated mentoring and leadership experience
- Learn and adapt to new technology as it relates to engineering practices and procedures
- Interact effectively with colleagues, senior project managers, and the general public
- Ability and interest in travelling domestically and internationally
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines
- Valid Driver’s License
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.