KGS Group is seeking a Geotechnical Engineer-in-Training to join our well established Geotechnical Department in Winnipeg, MB.
Over the past 30 years, KGS Group has grown to be the largest employee-owned engineering consulting firms based in Manitoba. We’re multi-disciplinary and have led significant public and private projects across Canada and internationally. With approximately 270 local engineers, scientists and support staff, we offer numerous resources to collaborate, learn and grow. The Geotechnical Group in particular numbers approximately 35, providing a significant support network with other intelligent, motivated staff. We work together, creating innovative solutions for our clients in a friendly, collaborative work environment. It’s a place where you can apply your abilities and contribute to challenging and meaningful projects all throughout Canada.
The Geotechnical Engineer-in-Training will be a recent University graduate that is interested in pursuing a career in geotechnical engineering to join our Winnipeg office. In this role you will have the opportunity to perform geotechnical and geologic evaluations and calculations, write technical documents, conduct subsurface investigations, and provide field monitoring, testing, and sampling for a variety of projects.
Your Key Responsibilities:
- Assisting with scoping, developing budget, executing, monitoring, and interpreting subsurface exploration programs
- Review and interpret the results from geotechnical laboratory testing programs
- Perform geotechnical calculations and analyses involving interpretation of subsurface conditions, soil mechanics, foundation engineering, and slope stabilization
- Perform geotechnical analyses with computer models for slope/embankment stability, braced excavations, pile and drilled shaft foundation capacities, shallow foundation capacities, MSE wall foundation design, and foundation/embankment settlement estimates
- Prepare geotechnical data reports, and report-quality calculation packages
- Write technical reports, design memoranda, field reports, cost estimating, specifications, and permit documents
- Safely perform work in the office and field; fieldwork may occur in all seasonal weather conditions, using equipment (with an ability to lift and move approximately 50 pounds without assistance) and operating vehicles on behalf of the company
- Willing and able to work extended hours, when needed, to meet deadlines
- Ability and interest in travelling locally and/or national (up to 50% of the time), with possible short-term or long-term assignments at project sites
To fill the role, we’re looking for an applicant to bring forward a good mix of qualifications and previous experiences. Some highlights could include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Geotechnical, or Geological Engineering. Post-graduate degree M.Sc. and/or Ph.D. in Civil/Geotechnical engineering will be considered an asset.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) or Engineering Intern (EI) designation or an ability to obtain within two years.
- Academic or professional training in soil mechanics, foundation engineering with emphasis in several of the following areas: geology, subsurface investigations, geotechnical laboratory testing, mechanics of materials, foundation design, slope stability analyses, soil and rock slope stabilization, earth support structures, geomorphology and surveying/GIS.
- 0-3 years’ experience in the geology, geotechnical, civil, or dam engineering fields, to include: field logging and sampling, slope stability, settlement, earth retaining structure, foundations, general civil design, construction, or other geotechnical analyses
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint software.
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis, and computer aided design drafting.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited senior oversight
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with a team or with minimal supervision, and with contractors and multi-disciplinary environment, with a willingness to perform a variety of assignments on short notice with a positive attitude
- Strong attention to detail; accuracy is essential
- Focused organization and time management abilities
- Excellent verbal and strong writing skills
- Understanding the importance of health & safety as a top priority
- Valid Driver’s License
KGS Group is an employee-owned equal opportunity company offering an excellent compensation and benefits package.KGS Group welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Upon request, KGS Group will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process.