Mott MacDonald is a multi-disciplined engineering and advisory consultancy, with a significant presence in the West Coast transportation and infrastructure and water/wastewater realm. We work on some of the largest tunnel projects in the world. As a result of our continued and sustained growth, we’re now looking to hire an engineer to our geotechnics practice to support our current and future infrastructure projects in the Bay Area.
This will be a versatile role undertaking a cross-section of projects from any or all of the following sectors: energy, pipelines, bridges/highways/pavements, dams, excavations, tunnels water and wastewater, ports and wharf facilities, retaining structures in soil/rock, and other infrastructure projects. Your responsibilities will include:
- Oversight of staff and development and execution of field investigation program to collect data for use in design, preparation of Geotechnical Data Reports;
- Assessment of subsurface conditions and development of design criteria, Geotechnical Interpretation/Engineering Reports;
- Oversight of staff and completing detailed static analyses for geotechnical aspects of the types of projects listed above;
- Detailed seismic analyses for geotechnical aspects of the types of projects listed above including site response analysis, seismic slope stability analysis, and liquefaction triggering analyses;
- Development of field instrumentation programs and evaluation of collected data;
- Management of staff and producing design solutions, reports, and contributions to/reviews of specifications and drawings;
- Writing reports for submission to clients, including design-related technical memoranda and Geotechnical Baseline Reports;
- Direct client engagement working with guidance from senior management;
- Leading the preparation of proposals for submission to clients;
- Ability to lay out/develop a design program and independently lead and manage a team of designers;
- Managing and mentoring junior/graduate engineers and supporting their development; and,
- Liaising with clients, responding to queries, and attending design and progress meetings.
Mott MacDonald's experience in infrastructure projects dates to the early 1900s. Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for North American infrastructure with unprecedented success. We’re looking for a designer to join our team to continue this and invite applications from candidates with:
- Bachelor’s s in civil engineering and Master’s in geotechnical engineering or engineering geology;
- Professional engineer (PE) license in California or ability to obtain a license within 3 months;
- 8-12 years of experience in geotechnical consultancy (not including education), experience in California preferred;
- Proficient use of geotechnical software (e.g. Plaxis, GeoStudio packages/Slide, Ensoft packages, DEEPSOIL, Flac);
- Proven track record in geotechnical design;
- Strong references from past managers or clients;
- Interest in machine learning, automation, digital integration, and multidisciplinary working
You’ll be a career-minded individual with aspirations of working on challenging and exciting infrastructure projects. Working in a team environment in Mott MacDonald’s San Jose, CA, office, you’ll need a positive attitude to promote the program, our organization, and our achievements.
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our organization, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We value the diversity of our staff and are committed to creating an inclusive work environment where everyone has the chance to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.