At Knight Piésold, we believe in the one-team approach, with everyone working together toward achieving a shared goal. There are no barriers, and no one works in isolation. You will get to build on your talents through our knowledge-sharing culture, working across borders and collaborating with top professionals in the industry.We value each employee and recognize their contribution to overall success of the company. We offer competitive compensation in order to retain the best employees and are committed to further reward employees who consistently perform at a high level.In addition, we also offer comprehensive benefits programs, social events, and stimulating work. If you are looking for an exciting and rewarding work environment where you can excel, Knight Piésold has it all. We have an opening in our Elko, Nevada office for a Construction Quality Assurance/Quality Control Engineering Technician. The CQA/QC engineering technician will support our existing team in the Elko office for monitoring and testing earthworks and geosynthetics construction and installation. Qualified candidates should have a 3 to 5 years’ experience in a similar role with an emphasis on quality work performed using generally accepted engineering practices and familiarity with ASTM, AASHTO, NICET, WAQTC, NAQTC, ICC, GRI and ACI standards and test methods. Construction Materials Testing technicians meeting these minimum requirements are encouraged to apply. The qualified candidate will be responsible for observing and documenting construction activities for earthworks, including recording photographs during these activities and preparing a written daily progress report and construction completion summary reports. A general understanding of, or previous experience with, standard laboratory aggregate, soil classification and properties tests such as sieve analysis, laboratory compaction (Proctor), Atterberg Limits, making and curing concrete compressive strength test specimens and geosynthetic installation is desired. Previous experience with lab management and data reduction software and MS Office software is preferred.
- This position will require travel to projects, domestic and possibly International and require extended stays away from home for some projects.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Standard work week schedules vary from project to project and may include working 6 days per week. Previous experience working on MSHA regulated sites is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Perform construction CQA/QC on large earthwork projects including tailing impoundments, heap leach facilities, landfills, and reservoirs.
- Perform geotechnical laboratory testing. Tests include but are not limited to basic classification tests, (grain size, Atterberg Limits, specific gravity) and compaction tests (Proctor), and will include soils processing. Experience with hydraulic conductivity tests and strength tests a plus but not required (willing to train).
- Coordinate and perform quality inspections and complete required quality control documentation
- Keep project manager advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
Qualifications to perform this job successfully include, but are not limited to:
- Must have a good work ethic.
- Must be able to multitask, balance workload and take direction from multiple clients.
- Basic to intermediate math skills. Cursory knowledge of Excel and Word a plus.
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Must be willing to work weekends, when required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Having studied or BS degree in Civil, geotechnical or geological engineering is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years of construction materials testing experience working with concrete, aggregate or soil preferred.
- Certification by a recognized national, regional or state authority as appropriate to the services is a plus.
Physical Requirements – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Lifting, bending, and walking steep slopes regularly are common. Teamwork promoting safe lifting practices are adhered to, but it is not uncommon to lift 50-pound samples of soil or aggregate.
- Jobs may be required to be performed in extreme weather conditions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment – Work will be performed in a field setting and a geotechnical laboratory and may be exposed to varying ambient conditions. Adherence to safety standards including those of the firm, MSHA, OSHA is mandatory. Site Specific and MSHA New Miner or annual refresher training will be made available.---Knight Piésold is an affirmative action employer and race, color, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability and veteran status are not taken into account in any employment decision. EEO Policy