Since 1955, Nicholson Construction Company has been setting the industry standard for performance and technical innovation in geotechnical construction. We have built our reputation by performing the highest quality work and providing the most innovative solutions on the widest range of demanding and high profile projects. Nicholson is part of a global network of unparalleled geotechnical resources and expertise, specializing in deep foundations, earth retention, ground treatment and ground improvement.Summary:
- High impact role as part of the regional business development and commercial team charged with the development of business contacts and project leads and the follow-up and acquisition of projects.
- Works for the Area Manager (AM) in support of the short and long-term revenue/margin requirements per the annual Regional Business Development Strategic Plan with long term plan/goal to oversee the Nicholson office in DC area.
- Ensures that all Nicholson and OSHA safety regulations are met and taken into account in projects acquisition process and site visits.
- Work in accordance with and provide development and on-going support of the regional BD strategy.
- Develop business and searches for new opportunities and clients.
- Develop up-stream projects knowledge to collaborate with and assist owners or engineers in the technical and commercial choices for a better solution.
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with our customers decision makers
- Produce financial and technical proposals (self-perform or as part of a team), organize the bid closing process as needed and be responsible for the proposal from the development stage until the hand-off to the operation team.
- Coordinate the use of internal or external resources (i.e. NCC engineering department, estimating, operations, external consultant, SBF) with AM to maximize our success in the proposal and marketing/selling process.
- Ensure that contractual conditions are reviewed and approved internally.
- Negotiate and close the deal with the support and under the authority of the AM and/or Vice President as deemed appropriate.
- Organize proposal files and hand over to the operations team once contract is awarded.
- Provide support to the operation team when upstream knowledge and customer relationship are a benefit to the project.
- Develop accurate market knowledge for future BD strategy.
- Propose in coordination with the AM potential partners (i.e. JV, subcontractors) that put Nicholson at a competitive advantage for a project.
- Review Request for proposals (RFPs), including all Civil, Structural and Geotechnical specifications, drawings, and construction documents and attend pre-bid meetings, conduct site visits, determine scope of work, interaction with operations staff to develop work approach, prepare quantity takeoffs and input data into computerized estimating software (HCSS/Heavy Bid).
- Interface with owner, A/E, and other contractors to provide engineering and cost data regarding project feasibility.
- Manage the available bid/proposal time to ensure accurate and timely preparation of a complete estimate/proposal to meet submission deadlines.
- Attend trade shows and conferences and make technical presentations to prospects and support the educational training of clients.
- Supervises, mentors, and trains staff assigned to support the BD/proposal/estimating efforts.
- Ensures that all Nicholson policies are followed (i.e. safety, quality, drug testing, travel, etc.)
- Works on Nicholson initiatives as assigned
Education & Training:
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related degree
- Minimum 7-10 years of geotechnical engineering and construction techniques.
- At least 3 years experience with client meetings, screening and evaluating project opportunities, and making presentations about project work
- 3 years of experience as Project Manager
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Self-starter, detail oriented with the ability to work independently
- Advance skills in relationship and contact creation.
- Advance skill in strategic vision in projects acquisition.
- Advanced knowledge in job costing programs and systems
- Advanced knowledge in bidding process and software
- Advanced knowledge in contract negotiations and review.
- Knowledge of scheduling software.
- Proven Business development and sales skills
- Knowledge and expertise of geotechnical construction a plus
- Advanced knowledge of estimating techniques and cost control, plus ability to interpret computerized cost data and systems essential
- Understanding of project risks and ability to make risk assessments
- Knowledge of HCSS Heavy Bid and SalesForce CRM a plus
- MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Lift, carry, pull and push at least 40 pounds
- Travel per the company travel policy, often overnight and away from home
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Safe Harbor Retirement Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Vacation
- Personal days
- Sick days
Nicholson Construction participates in E-Verify.Please be advised that all interested candidates are REQUIRED to attach a copy of your resume in order to be considered.In an effort to foster a diverse workforce Nicholson Construction encourages applications from minorities, veterans, women and individuals with disabilities. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
If you want to view the EEO is the Law poster, please choose your language: English – Spanish – Arabic - Chinese Please be advised that all interested candidates are REQUIRED to attach a copy of your resume in order to be considered.In an effort to foster a diverse workforce Nicholson Construction encourages applications from minorities, veterans, women and individuals with disabilities. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability