SR ESTIMATOR- SPECIALTY FOUNDATIONS- FOUNDATIONS
Location: Denver, CO, US Lenexa, KS, US Chicago, IL, US Omaha, NE, USRequisition ID: 98679 Job Level: Mid Level Department: Estimating Market: Industrial Employment Type: Full Time Position OverviewAs a Senior Estimator, you will play a significant part in the success of Kiewit Foundations Co. by directly managing the execution of specialty foundations project estimates. A strong technical and practical background in specialty foundations and/or geotechnical construction is required. This position reports to the Estimating Department Manager in a fast-paced office environment. Must be able to interact professionally with all levels of management, client representatives, staff and contractors while maintaining a diverse workload.
District OverviewKiewit Foundations Co. is a full-service geotechnical foundation contractor operating across North America. Our experience and expertise cover a wide range of specialty foundation construction for both structural and ground improvement solutions. We operate in the transportation, power, water/wastewater, mining, building, industrial, and oil, gas, and chemical markets. As part of Kiewit we are integrated with 135 years of construction and engineering experience that provides wholistic solutions to the industry that are unmatched.
Our rapidly growing foundations business, which includes drilled shafts, micro pile, driven pile, augercast-in-place pile, full displacement pile, soil mixing, support of excavation, anchors, tie-backs, stone columns, and other geotechnical solutions is a multi-faceted and leading-edge division of Kiewit focused on delivering differentiated solutions.
We are an innovative team that works on both Kiewit projects and with other general contractors across all our markets. Our staff collaborates with Kiewit’s engineering group comprised of more than 60 geotechnical engineers as well as premier external geotechnical engineering firms to deliver safe and cost-effective solutions that achieve client expectations and further Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re supporting Kiewit or other general contractors to bore tunnels through mountains, turn rivers into energy, build bridges that connect communities, or develop facilities that power and fuel our world, we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from below ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. Kiewit’s culture encourages training, developing your skills, and tailoring your experience and knowledge to allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
LocationOne of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs. Responsibilities
- Review, analyze and interpret Contract Documents (RFP, specifications, drawings, and reference information) to develop detailed, comprehensive cost estimates for specialty foundations projects.
- Lead and mentor a team of Junior Estimators on specific estimates.
- Ability to understand foundations construction methods and be able to clearly communicate the means and methods used to price an estimate.
- Ability to make assumptions based on experience when detailed plans are not provided and front end estimating is performed based on conceptual level designs.
- Ability to perform accurate quantity takeoffs for specialty foundations techniques such as Auger Cast piling, drilled shaft, secant piles, soil mixing, stone columns, micropiles, etc….
- Identify bid qualifications, risks, and assumptions along with quantities and pricing
- Ensure estimates are performed in accordance with company practices and standards.
- Participate in estimate reviews and presentations to estimate managers and executive management.
- Manage comparisons between self-perform estimates and subcontractor quotes.
- Ability to analyze subcontractor and material quotes for responsiveness to the estimate and project requirements
- Work with engineering team to preparing value engineering solutions; including cost, schedule, and Owner benefits.
- Preparing responses to Request for Qualifications (RFQ's) and Request for Proposals (RFP's).
- Providing rough order of magnitude (ROM) estimates and schedules.
- Ensure lessons learned and other historical data are captured for future benefit.
- Draft final scope letters for each bid proposal.
- 7+ years of related experience in heavy construction / estimating
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in mechanical, electrical, civil or construction-related technology, OR extensive and related work experience leading to a thorough understanding of the knowledge, skills and abilities described above
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a team setting and directing/reviewing the work of others
- Can travel occasionally and act independently with little or no supervision and as a team player
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel, Work, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
- Ability to perform duties in wide-ranging physical and climatic conditions, heights and negotia¬tion of complex stair structures
- Strong all-around knowledge of geotechnical engineering, ground improvement techniques, structural deep foundation methods, and support of excavation (SOE) operations.
- Ground Improvement experience includes rigid inclusions, soil mixing, vibro-replacement (stone columns), vibro-compaction, compaction grouting, permeation grouting, jet grouting, and deep dynamic compaction
- Structural deep foundation experience includes micropiles, drilled shafts, auger-cast-in-place piles, driven piles
- Support of excavation experience includes secant pile, anchors, and tie-backs
- Recent knowledge of Bluebeam and Adobe/PDF software preferred
- Working knowledge of Hard Dollar / InEight Estimate software or any similar software suite
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.