DescriptionThe Heavy Equipment Operator will operate and maintain heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving, trash processing, and composting operations in a safe and efficient manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate heavy, motorized equipment used in earth moving, trash processing, and composting operations, including but not limited to front-end wheel loaders, water tankers, dozers, scrapers, landfill trash compactors, mobile compost mixers, tub grinders, concrete crushers, bailers, excavator and other equipment to support a variety of operations at facilities.
- Process incoming material with heavy equipment to build waste cells per designed landfill permitted plans.
- Maintain the general working area in a leveled and organized manner.
- Work closely with traffic control spotters to identify fill areas to be used for dumping solid waste.
- Operate trash compactors to process trash in 2 foot lifts working on 3:1 or 4:1 slopes.
- Operate excavator and ADT trucks to haul dirt from the borrow area to the waste processing area for daily cover.
- Operate dozer to cover and maintain level tipping areas for daily operations.
- May operate water tanker and similar equipment for dust control, dirt compaction, and watering grass.
- Build and maintain access and hauling roads.
- May operate and maintain other landfill related equipment.
- Use hand held mobile radio units or company cell phone to coordinate tasks and resources.
- Perform pre and post operations inspection and perform daily maintenance required of the equipment in accordance with Company policy and maintain accurate logs and records.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operation, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Identify potentially hazardous or unacceptable materials and report to immediately to supervisor for proper handling of material.
- Ensure adherence to safe work practices and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
- Heavy equipment operation experience
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs to assigned equipment
- Ability to communicate clearly with team members, management, employees and external customers in an efficient and professional manner
- Flexibility to accept and adapt to change as well as the commitment to seek continuous improvement
- Solid waste industry experience
Equal Opportunity Employer