Providing expert, innovative environmental and engineering consulting services - without surprises - is what DST Consulting Engineers Inc., A Division of Englobe, does best. We are a multi-disciplinary firm providing comprehensive services to clients across Canada. DST’s nation-wide team is comprised of exceptional people in various stages of their career. We come together each day to make the unexpected happen. Growing our team means we are in pursuit of brilliant individuals who can rise to the challenge. At DST, you are not just any employee and we are not looking for just anyone. DST Employees share common traits that enable them to thrive. They are: Results Driven, Inquisitive, Dynamic, Responsive & Zealous. You tell us, are you a good fit at DST?If you are and you have the skills we need below, send us your CV.We are currently seeking a full time Geotechnical Technician to work out of our DST office located in Waterloo, ON. Key Accountabilities/Activities
- Assisting Project Managers, Engineers and Technicians in fulfilling multi-disciplinary civil, geotechnical, environmental, geosciences, remediation, groundwater and soil related projects across Southern Ontario;
- Coordinating and performing pre-construction condition surveys and vibration monitoring of buildings and structures before construction projects;
- Carrying out field and laboratory geotechnical materials testing on construction sites, including: soil compaction testing, concrete testing, asphalt field compaction and sampling, and groundwater sampling.
- Collecting field samples and preparing laboratory samples as directed by the laboratory supervisor;
- Consistently executing prescribed technical procedures, safe work practices and work plans while completing field, laboratory and office work;
- Recording test data and preparing factual reports, summaries, data sheets or graphs for interpretation of test results by the supervisor;
- Help maintain data bases of records for calibration certificates, equipment manuals and applicable standards;
- Participating in project management, site and staff planning meetings;
- Handling difficult situations with tact and diplomacy to maintain positive working relationships with all internal and external contacts; and,
- Performing other related duties as required.
- College Diploma in a civil or geotechnical – field of study preferred;
- CET or C.Tech designation, or the ability to pursue them, is an asset.
- Understanding of and/or ability to learn technical field testing and laboratory procedures required;
- Ability to travel between worksites locally and within the Region as required;
- Possession of or ability to obtain Security Clearance required;
- A valid “G” Drivers license required; and
- Knowledge of concrete, asphalt, and compaction testing. CCIL certification (or equivalent) is an asset
- Understanding of civil engineering and construction;
- Ability to work independently while contributing to the team’s goals.
- Strong technical writing skills, ability to present information concisely and clearly;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Proficient with use of Microsoft Office;
- Ability to handle multi-tasking and maintain focus in a busy work place.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure.
- Must be available on occasion to work evenings and/or weekends to meet project needs.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently problem-solve and tackle new assignments;
- This job is based in Waterloo but does, on occasion, require working at other locations throughout Southern and Northern Ontario for up to 1 week at a time.