Job DescriptionThe Field Geotechnical Engineer will be a part of a group of engineers and or Data Scientists and provide engineering/geo-science advice in multiple specialized technical disciplines and develop solutions with the team by putting acquired Geo-data into context. This role will consist of working in both in offshore and onshore, collecting and interpreting data using cutting-edge tools to sample and characterize soil conditions and develop geotechnical engineering design parameters.Job Responsibilities
- Work offshore (approximately 40%) on geotechnical and geophysical vessels for periods from 2 to 6 weeks, on regional and international projects.
- Work within a team environment collecting geotechnical data, seabed soil and rock samples and performing in situ testing using standard and novel marine coring and penetration tools.
- Perform offshore core logging to classify seabed soil and rock samples, and perform basic index and strength testing on collected samples.
- Package and store offshore samples for transport to onshore laboratory testing facility.
- Guide and oversee more junior shift engineers and field technicians in performance of seabed sampling and in situ and field laboratory testing, and identify training needs.
- Adhere to Fugro and client-required HSSE protocol at all times.
- Perform quality assurance checks on all offshore geotechnical testing and data processing, interpretation and reporting.
- Assist Site Manager in planning, coordinating, and managing field data acquisition activities.
- Produce daily field reports and communicate progress to onboard client representative and/or onshore client.
- Produce field reports using Quality Management Systems reporting protocol and procedures, comprising of offshore operations, sampling, in situ testing, and index testing procedures and results.
- While onshore (office-based), support proposal preparation, data interpretation and review, and engineering reporting, assist in planning and mobilizing marine geotechnical investigation projects, support geotechnical field data acquisition activities, including quality assurance checks on all offshore geotechnical testing, and maintain client contact.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without restrictions.
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, Geology, Ocean Engineering, or related field.
- At least 3 years of geotechnical marine investigation experience performing and leading marine activities.
- Familiarity with geotechnical laboratory testing in an offshore data collection environment.
- Basic understanding of soil mechanics as related to soil and rock classification and standard engineering properties.
- Working proficiency with Microsoft Office software and ability to quickly learn job-specific software applications.
- Good writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Writing and speaking Spanish a plus.
- Flexible, innovative, and the ability to work in teams are key requirements for this position.
- Ability to work long hours (12 hour shifts) in the field, sometimes under pressure, and always within deadlines.
- Ability to work offshore and travel internationally, without any travel restrictions.
- Acceptable driving record and possession of a valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 3 months.
- Completion of a pre-employment physical exam and drug screen.
Our Contribution to You (Growth Opportunity)At Fugro, we focus on helping our employees at every level of their career identify and use their strengths to contribute their best every day. From entry-level team members to senior leaders, we believe there is always room to grow knowledge and experiences. We support our employees by offering opportunities to sharpen their skills through on the job learning experiences to formal internal and external development programs.BenefitsAt Fugro, we value people and offer a broad range of benefits which include, but are not limited to:
- A choice of Medical, Dental and Vision Plans.
- Basic Group Life and AD&D Insurance.
- Short-term and Long-term Disability.
- A broad range of voluntary benefits.
- An employer matched, 100% vested 401(k) Plan.
We offer:As the world’s largest integrator of geotechnical, survey, subsea and geosciences services, we offer talented individuals almost unlimited growth potential.As a Fugro employee, you will get to work with talented people on a global scale who contribute as a team to our corporate strategy. Additionally, you will have access to ongoing training and development which will sharpen your skills and broaden your knowledge and abilities.This combination of experience, ongoing training and development, and working with great people will allow you to grow your career and explore new opportunities with Fugro around the globe.How to apply?If you are interested in this role we look forward to discussing this opportunity with you. Please click on our ‘apply’ button and upload your resume and cover letter.Disclaimer for recruitment agencies:Fugro does not accept any unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies. Acquisition to Fugro Recruitment or any Fugro employee is not appreciated.Fugro USA posting DisclaimerFugro is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors.Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the recruitment process are encouraged to contact Human Resources directly at 713-369-5600, option 5 or firstname.lastname@example.org.