Excellence Leaves a Lasting Impression: Bring Your Vision to shape a better world.
At Arup, our innovative spirit compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways — engineering, planning, designing, and consulting on many of the most renowned projects in the built environment. We aim to deliver technical excellence, innovation, and value to clients, while maintaining our core mission of shaping a better world. Since its founding in 1946, members of Arup have developed transformative ways of working. Adapting to the ever-changing environment, our work is focused on ambitiously reimagining a sustainable and resilient future for cities. Arup is rising to these new challenges: by bringing together broad-minded individuals from a wide range of disciplines, investing in research, innovating and creating better solutions for clients and the wider world.
Arup’s Toronto office is seeking a Senior Tunneling Engineer with underground structures (e.g. bored and cut and cover tunnels, underground stations, deep basements) and soil and/or rock mechanics background to provide engineering services to its clients on design and construction projects.
• Leading tunneling design for multidisciplinary transportation and utility projects.
• Managing tunneling and cavern projects.
• Site supervision experience for infrastructure and building projects with focus on underground structures such as tunnels and underground stations.
• Interpret field and laboratory test result from ground investigation for design purposes as well as interpretation and preparation of Geotechnical Baseline and/or Interpretive reports (GBRs/ GIRs).
• Perform design and analysis using various industry standard engineering software for underground structures, excavations, foundations, seismic site response analyses, slopes, and, etc
• Preparing and reviewing design reports, design calculations, drawings and specifications
• Hands-on experience and experience in supervising others in the use geotechnical and tunneling finite element modelling software such as PLAXIS, UDEC, 3DEC or FLAC.
• Carrying out seismic design of underground structures in accordance with relevant Codes and Standards in Canada and the United States.
• Experience in CADD and BIM, particularly Revit, Aecosim and Microstation is advantageous
• Interacting with engineers from various disciplines and collaborating in the design of building foundations, bridge foundations, tunnels etc.
• Assist with administrative duties or management support as assigned by team leader
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering. Master’s degree in Tunneling, Mining or Geotechnical Engineering is highly desirable.
• Minimum 8+ years of experience in tunnel engineering design with proven record of delivering project plans, analyses, design and preparation of deliverables for infrastructure projects.
• Strong knowledge in structural or soil/rock-structure interaction design.
• P.Eng in Canada. Additional PE and/or CEng is advantageous.
• Experience in supervising site works and performing site design changes.
• Familiarity with soil-structure interaction problems in a variety of soil conditions.
• Bi-lingual (English and French) is advantageous
• Previous experience working for a geotechnical, mining or tunneling contractor in is advantageous.
• Highly innovative and creative in developing technically strong solutions.
• Strong focus on high quality deliverables, deadlines and budgets.
• Comfortable balancing multiple roles and responsibilities in high stress situations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with clients, regulators, and junior staff.
• Ability to communicate and coordinate work within an integrated multidisciplinary team.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless.
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, GRRSP match, time off and profit share.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.