Geotechnical / Tunneling Engineering Intern - Available Summer 2020
Start Here, Go Anywhere! Are you looking for an opportunity to shape a better world?
During your internship at Arup, you’ll have the chance to work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Carry out site supervision of ground investigations.
• Observe, document and review construction of geotechnical elements.
• Collect, process and interpret geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring data.
• Prepare laboratory testing schedules and interpret test data.
• Use geotechnical software such as L-Pile, SLIDE/Slope-W, Plaxis, and more.
• Interpret ground conditions and understand their impact on design and construction.
• Prepare shallow and piled foundation designs, slope stability calculations and seismic assessments.
• Carry out temporary support of excavation designs, for tunnel shafts and cut and cover tunnels/subway stations.
• Conduct preliminary ground movement predictions and building damage assessments.
• Work alongside our civil, structural, and bridge engineers to develop foundation and deep excavation designs.
• Prepare desk study reports on sites due for development.
• Bachelor's of Science in Geotechnical Engineering
• 3.0 GPA or higher
• Sound knowledge of civil engineering fundamentals, soil and rock mechanics, and geotechnical earthquake engineering
• Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
• Must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
• Master's of Science or Master's of Engineering in Geotechnical Engineering
• EIT/FE desired
• Geotechnical analysis software skills
• Computer programming skills (Matlab, Python)
• Finite element analysis skills
• Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• Salesforce Tower and Transit Center
• 181 Fremont Tower
• California High Speed Rail
• San Francisco’s Central Subway
• Mexico City New International Airport
• Gerald Desmond Bridge, Long Beach, CA
• I-405 Improvement Project, Orange County
• Washington Hospital, Fremont
• San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, Sewer System Improvement Program
• Silicon Valley Clean Water Tunnel
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.