At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR currently has an opening for a Field Geologist (G.I.T.) with the technical skills and desire to help support our nationally recognized Transportation Business Group.
Based in our Columbia, SC office, the Field Geologist will possess a solid academic background in the principles of Earth Science with an emphasis in Engineering Geology and a working understanding of surveying, drilling, visual-manual classification of soils according to the United Soil Classification System, monitoring well installation, and Geotechnical Lab techniques. This person will be expected to perform complex field and office assignments supporting the Geotechnical Engineering Team in the timely completion of assigned projects. Assigned tasks will demand initiative, organizational skills, and self-motivation to perform geotechnical field work, civil engineering field work, report preparation, data entry, and the ability to learn and become fluent in engineering software such as gINT. Candidate must be adaptable to conditions including fast-paced and deadline driven work environment, as well as being fit, able to walk, climb, lift 50-60 pounds, and stand for long periods of time in all weather conditions. Candidate must be able to demonstrate an ability to work under the direction of multiple project engineers using computer software to assist in the development of a wide array of projects for local municipalities, federal, state, and private clients.
The primary duties include geotechnical field work such as drilling support, site assessment, and construction oversight mainly within the Transportation Sector. Office responsibilities are primarily assisting with geotechnical engineering projects such as using AutoCAD; conducting data entry and analysis; performing routine calculations; assisting with analysis and study level reports; and working directly with project engineers, drillers, subcontractors, the HDR Geotechnical Lab, Clients and/or other project stakeholders. Construction support duties may include construction inspection/observation activities, review and response to shop drawings, submittals, requests for clarification and other construction related correspondence.
• Collecting geotechnical instrumentation data and recording field collected data.
• Performing project scoping visits, site inspections, and utility site assessments.
• Locating site features with GPS equipment.
• Calling in utility location tickets.
• Laying out borings, coordinate drilling activities, and preparing samples for shipment.
• Overseeing SUE geophysical work.
• Supporting construction phase implementation of infrastructure improvements by providing oversight services and serving as owner's representative.
• Producing detailed, scaled project plans and design drawings with BIM/CADD platforms for project reports.
• Drafting reports, assembling appendices, and drafting and interpreting boring logs and Geotechnical Laboratory test data.
• Some out of town work and overnight travel will be required.
• 3-5+ years of experience as a Technician in Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field.
• Registration as a South Carolina Geologist in Training.
• Experience performing Geotechnical subsurface explorations -- drilling, hand auger, well/piezometer installation.
• Computer proficiency using Microsoft Office experience.
• Knowledge of South Carolina Geology.
• Must have a working knowledge of drilling, roadway construction, bridge construction, and vertical construction.
• Must be willing and able to become HAZWOPER Certified.
• Must be able to read and interpret plans, project specifications, and/or project manuals.
• Should possess strong math abilities.
• Must have strong communication skills, and be self-motivated, organized, flexible, and able to work both independently and with a project team to completion of tasks.
• A valid driver's license and safe driving record is required.
• Must be willing to travel/perform field work, with some travel required.
• This position will be subject to a pre-employment drug test and drug and alcohol testing during the course of your employment based upon HDR's Drug Testing and Drug Free Workplace Policy.
• Preference will be given to local candidates.
• An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
• AutoCAD or related CAD/BIM software experience.
• Certifications such as CEPSCI, ACI, and/or SCDOT Inspector Certifications, or willing to obtain such on an as-needed basis.
• Dam construction, inspection, operation, and/or maintenance experience.
• Experience drafting boring logs in gINT software.
• Vertical construction experience.
• Preference given to local candidates.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.