Clients with complex projects come to Arup for our innovative spirit, a spirit that compels us to express our ingenuity in unique ways that strengthen their businesses —developing many of the world’s most innovative and sustainable buildings, transport and civil engineering projects.
Owner's and investors’ rely on the creative minds of Arup's 16,000 engineers, planners and consultants to bring our collaborative and empathetic thinking to creating sustainable outcomes. These outcomes immediately set their businesses apart from the competition and prepare their organizations for the future.
Arup is seeking a West Coast Tunneling Leader, who will be working with underground structures. This individual will have a structural, soil and/or rock mechanics background to provide engineering services to its clients on design and construction projects. Must have experience with multiple types of tunnel construction methods including bored, mined/SEM/NATM, drill and blast, cut and cover, and shaft sinking. You will be reporting into the Infrastructure Lead.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
• Oversee and manage tunnel engineering staff in the West coast
• Develop the teams’ capabilities through mentorship, selected training, project assignments and appropriate hires
• Manage the Tunnelling team’s commercial success (with the geotechnical lead)
• Develop and maintain strong client relationships
• Manage the commercial and technical aspects of geotechnical and tunneling projects and tasks
• Lead Tunneling for large multi-disciplinary infrastructure projects.
• Identify, track and bid for new tunneling work
• Interface with other geotechnical and tunneling leads regionally and globally.
• Master's of Science or Master's of Engineering in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering with 15+ years of tunnel experience.
• Sound knowledge of civil engineering fundamentals, soil and rock mechanics.
• Relevant experience in winning work, managing projects and leading teams
• The ability to work under pressure, prioritize effectively, manage deadlines and exceptional organization skills required for our rapidly changing environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
• Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
• This role may require travelling within North America and overseas, typically for short periods, to support the delivery of our work.
• California PE/GE License
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world's most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
• Transbay Transit Center in San Francisco
• Lake Mead Intake Tunnel No 3
• Washington State Convention Center
• Deep Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory (DUSEL)
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Outlined below are a few of the benefits Arup has to offer you as a FT employee of the firm:
• Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
• Personal Health Insurance
• 401(k) - with a dollar for dollar company match up to 10%
• Paid Time Off (PTO)
• Tuition reimbursement
• Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
• Short Term and Long Term Assignment Career Opportunities around the Globe
Arup is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment where our people are encouraged to thrive.