The position requires a degreed Professional Engineer licensed in Virginia with a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in the material testing and inspection of various construction projects (equivalent E-IV/E-V). In addition to engineering responsibilities, this position will actively assist the current Division Manager and Senior Staff in technical and fiscal managerial tasks, maintaining existing clients and developing new clients, to include new projects and work to manage. The candidate will be expected to participate in marketing and business development activities to secure new clients and contracts to expand WDP’s work in the area. The position offers ample opportunity for upward growth within the division and the company.
The candidate will be able to apply their knowledge of geotechnical and materials engineering techniques, field and laboratory procedures, and industry practices to a wide variety of projects in both the private and public sector. This position will also require the training of laboratory materials testing technicians, the oversight and management of WDP’s Laboratory Manager, and coordination of all laboratory activities to ensure compliance with current accepted standards. Field work oversight and management of inspectors and technicians performing testing of construction materials and inspection of construction sites is expected as the candidate will routinely serve as the Special Inspections Engineer/3rd Party Inspections Engineer of Record. Typical project assignments will include:
- Coordinating the activities and training of inspection/technician staff for projects and scheduling work;
- Managing and supervising the testing and inspection of building construction components such as soil, concrete, masonry, asphalt, fireproofing, and structural steel;
- Reviewing daily inspection reports prepared by inspectors and technicians;
- Preparing periodic construction quality reports to document if projects are being built per approved plans and specifications;
- Preparing and distributing deficiency lists/non-compliant lists if projects have construction items deviating from approved plans and specifications;
- Working with senior geotechnical staff to coordinate, manage, and implement geotechnical explorations/ investigations to identify and evaluate subsurface soils and rock conditions while monitoring field staff conducting the field exploration/investigation operations;
- Assigning necessary, project-specific soil laboratory testing for geotechnical engineering investigations; and
- Preparing and reviewing geotechnical engineering reports to provide appropriate design recommendations for foundations, slabs, and walls; pavements; utilities; SWM/BMP facilities; slopes and retaining systems; site preparation and earthwork criteria including soil types, reuse suitability, and recommended compaction.
Other responsibilities and tasks will often include reviewing and analyzing reports, maps, drawings, specifications, and other project related data; coordinating inspection and testing services with clients, architects and engineers, and contractors; and evaluating and applying standard engineering methods and procedures during the performance of engineering services.
- BS/MS degree in Civil Engineering with geotechnical/materials science emphasis from an accredited college or university.
- VA Professional Engineering License – other mid-Atlantic/Metro DC states may be required.
- Motivating leadership and mentoring ability in a team environment with very strong interpersonal and relationship skills
- Complete tasks/projects independently depending on the job assignment.
- Ability to work in the field and travel depending on job assignment and work load.
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Excellent professional references.
- Valid, current driver's license with an acceptable driving history.
WDP offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- Health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) - 70% paid by WDP
- Fully-paid life insurance
- Paid vacation - minimum 3 weeks
- 401(k) plan with 33% company match
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) - fully-funded by WDP
- Wellness Benefit
- Snacks (of course)
- Supportive and creative work environment
Apply online or email professional resume to email@example.com