T.Y. Lin International is seeking a Senior Drainage Engineer who will be responsible the planning and design of public stormwater quality and drainage related projects, including hydrologic and hydraulic studies, and preparation of plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E). The candidate should have a working knowledge of hydrologic and hydraulic design criteria used by local municipalities and counties throughout, but not limited to, Southern California as well as regional and state agencies.
As part of the San Diego, CA office, the Senior Drainage Engineer/Manager will oversee Drainage Engineers in the Region and be responsible for performing hydrologic studies, hydraulic analyses, preparing drainage designs, plans and reports. The position will require coordination with other T.Y. Lin offices, agencies and other engineering staff.
• The applicant will have responsibility for the preparation of planning studies and creation of design plans for a variety of project types
• Typical projects include drainage studies and plans, roadway drainage systems, storm drain systems, bridge hydraulics, and stormwater quality projects
• Calculate quantities and prepare engineering estimates
• Prepare technical reports, letters, and memos for development of storm water project
• Perform preliminary field investigations and existing data research to be used in preparation of a working project base file
• Perform design and prepare plans and details using AutoCad/Microstation and Civil-3D/InRoads
• Perform analyses and prepare exhibits using ESRI ArcGIS v10.
• Manage the drainage design staff in the Region
• Prepare and negotiate manhour estimates
• Assure that all submittals are in accordance with company production and design standards
• Assist in marketing efforts, proposal writing, and participate in presentations
• Manage staff, sub-consultants and projects
• Responsible for quality control of work done by drainage team
• Other assignments as needed
Additional responsibilities include directly coordinating with clients and subconsultants, managing the drainage design team, developing project scopes, preparing and negotiating manhour estimates, performing Quality Control for drainage component of construction plans, providing cost effective solutions for RFI’s, and training/mentoring junior staff engineers.
Requires Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, a California PE, and a minimum of 15 years of experience in the civil engineering field with emphasis in drainage study and design. 2D modeling (e.g. FLO-2D) experience is strongly preferred. Applicants should have a solid understanding and level of experience with hydrologic methods and hydraulic analysis. Experience with evaluating components of scour and design of scour protection measures required. Experience with sediment transport modeling using HEC-6, HEC-6T, Fluvial-12 or other models is a plus. Understanding of geomorphology and experience with geomorphologic evaluations and reports is a plus. Experience includes design of open and closed stormwater collection systems, stormwater field investigations, design of stormwater management systems, permit coordination and documentation, highway planning, cost estimating, FDOT plans preparation, and preparation of Pond Siting Reports, Project Development and Environmental Studies, Bridge Hydraulic Reports, review of drainage connection permits, temporary drainage, and the preparation of MOT plans. Experience with state, county and city hydrology and drainage methodologies required. Foundational understanding and ability to utilize multiple software programs such as adICPR 3.02, HY-8, HEC-12, MicroStation, StormCadd, GeopakDrainage and Site (V8XM), ASAD, Culvert Life Estimator, Hec-2, WSPRO, Hec-Ras, HEC-18, WinStorm and others for analysis and design is required.
Proficiency using drafting software (AutoCAD Civil 3D and Microstation) required and drainage design software (StormCAD and WSPG) desired. High proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required.
Familiarity with the following additional software is also desired: ESRI ArcGIS, HEC-1, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, FlowMaster, CulvertMaster and HY-8.